Msconfig missing in Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rookieman, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I tried to run msconfig in Vista Home Premium and it can't find the file.Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this file backo_O?

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

There are two copies on this Vista Ultimate install.

C:\Windows\System32

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-msconfig-exe_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_d8437c87a0d4ffbd

It is a standalone exe so I will zip and pm you the link to download.

3. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

A missing msconfig is always a sure sign you are infected, its been deleted by the malware itself to prevent you from running it to check what files and services are starting up, and make it harder to detect the malware. Run lots of malware scanners and anti-virus offline and online scanners and run from safe mode if possible. Make sure you not infected first. If you cant find anything i would reinstall your system to be on the safe side as more damage could of been done and possibility of a undetected malware present OR maybe you only noticed msconfig.exe missing recently caused from an infection of the past.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Thanks for the replies on this,Franklin it was the second file you mentioned.I copied and pasted it to the start menu.I'm not sure how long it's been missing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.