MSAS Agents Disabled?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gud4u, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I've seen a couple of incidents of MSAS starting up with Security Agents Disabled - even though it's configured to automatically startup with both real time protection enable boxes checked.

Has anyone else noticed this?

After noticing this today, I ran AdAware on-demand scanner and it found four instances of 'MediaMotor' - which I removed.

Looks like I'm back to Spy Sweeper!

EDIT: Thought about this a bit and reconstructed the circumstances:
    - When installing/uninstalling a program, I disconnect cable modem and unload all privacy/security programs first to prevent possible interferences.
    - Apparently, when restarting MSAS, it restarts with agents disabled (real time protection boxes unchecked).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I my case it was the opposit, i had Security Agents Disabled, but it always did start with them anyway, until i did a reinstall, made sure everything was disabled (RTM) under "options" and used Autoruns (free) to to kill it's startup.

It also slowed my computer much more than Spy Sweeper does, so i keep AntiSpyware as on-demand only and everything is back normal (it's beta btw) and besides SS has a larger signaturebase (77396), so it would be my choice anyway. :)

3. Manitoban

Manitoban Guest

Here, real-time protection is disabled after an automatic update. The tray tip text is still "Microsoft AntiSpyware - Active," but the right-click menu and the main GUI show that real-time protection is disabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.