MSAS Agents Disabled?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gud4u, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Nov 9, 2004
    I've seen a couple of incidents of MSAS starting up with Security Agents Disabled - even though it's configured to automatically startup with both real time protection enable boxes checked.

Has anyone else noticed this?

After noticing this today, I ran AdAware on-demand scanner and it found four instances of 'MediaMotor' - which I removed.

Looks like I'm back to Spy Sweeper!

EDIT: Thought about this a bit and reconstructed the circumstances:
    - When installing/uninstalling a program, I disconnect cable modem and unload all privacy/security programs first to prevent possible interferences.
    - Apparently, when restarting MSAS, it restarts with agents disabled (real time protection boxes unchecked).
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Jun 29, 2004
    I my case it was the opposit, i had Security Agents Disabled, but it always did start with them anyway, until i did a reinstall, made sure everything was disabled (RTM) under "options" and used Autoruns (free) to to kill it's startup.

It also slowed my computer much more than Spy Sweeper does, so i keep AntiSpyware as on-demand only and everything is back normal (it's beta btw) and besides SS has a larger signaturebase (77396), so it would be my choice anyway. :)
  3. Manitoban

Manitoban Guest

Here, real-time protection is disabled after an automatic update. The tray tip text is still "Microsoft AntiSpyware - Active," but the right-click menu and the main GUI show that real-time protection is disabled.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.