MS Word and Excel takes forever to start.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DonMartin, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

I have a strange problem in my wife's computer.
    It takes a long time for MS Office programs to load.
    For example Word takes about 15 minutes before I can write the first letter!
    Half of that time it shows just the Word start-up window. And then, at here it is the same for Excel. I get a message about "Requesting virus check" in the lower part of word or excel windows.
    My wife is running XP-pro with latest SP (3) and office package from 2002. I have also tested with other versions of the Office package, with the same result. Avira antivirus program is used. It doesn't matter if it is activated or not.
    Open Office, however, runs smothly.

Any idea?

regards /Don

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's really probably pretty much impossible to diagnose remotely... but I'd say if it's taking that long then something is awfully messed up. Can you disable whatever causes the "requesting virus check" stuff? Perhaps that's a clue. Otherwise I have no idea. I'd use OO if that works best. A reformat would probably cure it also, but that's rather drastic. Truth is, it could be just about anything causing it.... See if you can remember back to when it first began exhibiting that behavior, and try to recall any changes you made just before that time, updates, or whatnot. That might give you another clue.

3. DonMartin

Thank's for your answer.
    The computer is quite new (less than a year) and my wife is using it mainly, to run econmical programs on it, and some word processing.
    All programs are genuine, nothing comes from the internet.
    If it had been MY computer I could have understood, I'm always trying whatever shows up in my way. But my wife's?
    And this problem happend at the first attempt to install MS office.
    It is a HP laptop, could it be some fancy HP "feature" :rolleyes:

Regards /Don

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Did this just start to happen recently? If so, and if you have image backups available, you might try to restore the images to see if you have one without the problem.

I had this same problem a couple of years ago with XP SP2 and Office 2000. I spent lots of time trying to track down the problem and never got there. I wound up reformatting and reloading the OS.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's not a good sign then. I would see if I could use something else, Open Office for example. If not, then you may not be able to fix it without a reformat or restore of a good image.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have XP SP3 on a Compaq laptop (which is owned by HP) and run Office 2002 with no problems(very fast, word is ready in less than 5 seconds). I find puzzling what you said about "requesting virus check" I have never experienced such an alert, especially considering the first install.

If you have a 'old image' of your system, I'd use it. Unfortunately one is often left with that lingering thought that something unexplained might be hiding in the system. I hope JRViejo's advice might help.

8. yeow

yeow Registered Member

9. DonMartin

Thank you all.
    And especially to Yeow, it was an old Norton installation that caused the delay. After unisntall everything is great. :)

Regards /Don

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I too made the mistake of getting an HP laptop,
    They load it down with bloatware, but more relevabt, they usually include a trial version of Office and NIS.

Did you install a full version of Office OVER the trial version?
    If so, that's likely your problem.

There are likely discussions of this, likely with suggestions on how to fix, in the usual places. I'd start with the newsgroup microsoft.public.office.setup.

Also, how is your DEFAULT printer connected to the laptop.
    Word, in particular, has difficulty with network printers, but that should not cause a 15 minute delay.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Glad you got it sorted out! That's great news.... :thumb:

12. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi Don,
    Glad it's ok now & u're welcome :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.