MS Windows Server 2008

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by markymoo, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Been trying out the trial of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 just released and i am impressed. Installation was a doddle and it flys alot faster than Vista. Very easy to use. Has the look of Vista but without the extra boomph but you can install the Desktop Experience so its like Vista. It has a new virtualization technology called Hyper-5 which is similar to Virtual PC but all built in already. Changed it into a Workstation. Heres an useful guide to do this. Same rules applies for 2008. http://win2k3.msfn.org/ Out of price range for home user but worth sampling.

trial here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/25/windows_server_2008_reviewed/

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I don't buy this "flys a lot faster than Vista" argument I hear about 2008 Server. 2003 Server was known to be a bit faster than XP but Vista and 2008 Server are built on the same code (SP1) and should run pretty much the same. I ran 2008 Server for ~4 months but just installed Vista SP1 RTM and if anything, Vista SP1 is faster.

3. markymoo

I dont know what hardware you got. I never ran Vista SP1 i took Vista off before SP1 came about. Server has all multimedia missing for example WMP, DirectX. Vista has Aero Glass and that alone takes up 500mb. I like that you add just the software you need not have loads installed you don't need. A similar compare like 2000 NT 5 and XP NT 5.1 are similar code but 2000 runs faster. I had a great experience with first time install with Server but i didn't with pre SP1 Vista and it ran heavy even on a fast pc after tweaking. It seems they got it right and no doubt lessons learnt with Vista. In benchmark tests Server is reporting to be 10% faster.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

10% faster than pre SP1 Vista? No surprise there but I doubt if there'll be an appreciable difference if you compare it to SP1.

Server has DirectX10 and Vista Glass. It has Windows Media Player and photo gallery as well.

You don't have to enable it in Vista if you don't want, and it still takes up the same amount of space on a Server machine, even if you don't have it installed. All of that stuff is kept in the winsxs folder.

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I tried Windows server 2008. And here I thought that Vista Ultimate was the fastest OS (on my machine) :eek:
    Its a bit configuring to make it desktop version (ie Vista features, enabling some services and manually download some drivers.) Some software needs the server version and that is the killer for me (if I ever think of buying it). I only have desktop version of FDISR and Shadowprotect :oops: I guess W2008 wont run in a standard snapshot in FDISR?
    but to me it seems that W2008 server is what Vista should have been after playing around with it for a while. I hear some evil rumors that it doesnt contain DRM and that would explain some of its speed?

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've purchased and been running Windows Server 2008 for a few days and pretty much pleased with it after Windows Server 2003, which was about my favourite Microsoft OS and at the moment it looks to be the best OS of MS to date IMO.

Add and remove components are now neatly configurable from 'Server Manager.' Server'08 comes with all the themes, Aero and programs but you need to set this up.

(Trial can be extended up to 240 days)

7. markymoo

@sukarof

I now reading reports Server 2008 is 11 - 17 per cent faster than Vista SP1. Did you still find it much faster when you installed all the Desktop experience? I notice other things in the Desktop Experience is included from the multimedia of Vista. I'm sure less overhead and less processes which is what makes it faster not just DRM. It has to be responsive for a server environment.

Heres a review
    http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2008/022108-windows-2008-server-test.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/18/windows_server_2008_vista_desktop/

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I couldnt see any difference in speed after I enabled Aero. Well, if the animations are enabled it of course feels a tiny bit slower, but thats the way it has to be I guess otherwise you wouldnt see the animations :)
    Maybe it all comes down to what kind of hardware is installed?

As I mentioned in several posts I fell Vista feels atleast as fast (and now WS2008 even faster) as XP, even with Aero.
    I dont know if my HW is state of the art, but maybe thats why my experience differs from all those that claims that Vista is bloated and slows down:

Intel Dual Core 2.66
    4GB RAM
    SATA HD
    Nvidia 8800GTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.