MS Windows 8: speculation picks up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i'm looking forward to trying the beta later on this year.

hopefully, there will be enough new worthy features to make it worth the price...

2. noway

noway Registered Member

I usually keep my cars for over 10 years. I call it being frugal. I know the car companies hate this and my banker isn't getting rich off me. No car loans. I don't need the latest electrical wiring technology in my home either at the cost of a new mortgage.

Many just don't like moving forward and having to pay for changes...when the technology doesn't improve the users' lives but just adds bloat, unneeded features and complication. And new bugs to deal with.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd say that's a little different due to the amount of cars available. 90% of cars generally aren't special and you're only doing the environment (and your wallet) worse by using an old one that doesn't take advantage of lower fuel consumption. However it's different for the 10% of special (unique, limited edition, etc) cars.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^ "...with the critics wondering how the company's biggest customers will react to an upgrade that so aggressively pushes touch."

"...Epps ticked off three elements to Windows 8 she believes are critical to the operating system's future relevance, including bringing Windows to devices powered by ARM's low-powered processor architecture, the touch-first model and the stress on new applications written with HTML5.
    "

I guess Win8 acceptance boils down to the above.
    Will power users and businesses be content, if it's an OS marketed (and build?) as supreme for tablet usage.
    And won't users expect a PC like experience when running a Microsoft Windows OS and multiple progs on a relatively meager processor?
    While I (sofar) don't have much love or need for a tablet personally, I'm very curious how Redmond will pull this off...

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They're always betting the farm, especially after a failure like Vista. I don't see how this is any different, other than ARM.

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Poor man's Steve Jobs brought Poor Man's Cameron Diaz to stage at D9. :D

On a serious note, this is exciting time for Windows, but I still have the following concerns -

1. No backward compatibility with ARM means fragmentation.
    2. Unless the power management / resource usage goes drastically down, I don't see how Windows tablets would be able to match the battery life of an iPad.
    3. It's still Windows, I would hate to see my tablet slow down after 6 months of use.
    4. HTML5 and JS based apps are a great idea, but it seriously limits the capabilities of the apps. But I guess nothing definitive can be said about this until the BUILD conference on 13th September (incidentally my GFs b'day :) ).

8. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

IMO Just another tool used to gather information about users interests. I bet it even has its very own Unique ID.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How ironic coming from a user of Windows.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, you could be correct and I guess, time will tell. ;)

13. elapsed

14. elapsed

http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/robert/hyper-v-3-0-confirmed-for-windows-8-client.aspx

15. elapsed

Probably with this:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...are-developers-the-longhorn-dream-reborn.ars/

A very, very good (though long) read.

16. guest

guest Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.