MS System Sweeper! Is this a new tool?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There are lots of unhappy people over Microsoft's Security Essentials forum. They say they won't install MSE to their clients/enterprises (up to 10 computers), if they don't bring the options back.

What is Microsoft going to the next, every time a competitor complains? Remove UAC? Remove DEP, ASLR, SEHOP... etc? Maybe they'll take away SRP, AppLocker... EMET...

Maybe security vendors will start telling Microsoft to remove standard user accounts. :eek:

And, other antimalware security vendors should improve their products, like not BRICKING systems when they KILL IMPORTANT O.S files! And, improve a lot more...

But, the easiest path is to complain about MSE. o_O It's just like Opera folks. They complained about IE to European Union; where did that take them? No where. :D o_O

I'm starting to question my self if Windows 8 will come in fact with a proper antimalware software, or if it will be something more like Windows Defender... o_O :blink:

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Windows Defender Offline was recently reviewed in the Windows Secrets newsletter, which is the first I've heard of it. It's fair to say that WDO is MSSS renamed since the download file name begins with "mssstool". There are separate versions for 32bit and 64bit Windows and the downloads are actually small stubs which in turn download 200-250 megs for the boot disc. Windows Secrets says WDO is designed to target rootkits. I'd like to see it professionally reviewed and compared with other ARK tools. I realize MSE has a following here, but MSE (and also the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool) doesn't inspire confidence in me. Still I'm glad they are pushing forward with antimalware tool development which puts pressure on the 3rd party developers to make their products better if nothing else.

WDO can be downloaded here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

The Windows Secrets article can be found here:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/windows-defender-offline-old-name-new-use/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.