MS Search application downloads unwanted programs and .dll files

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Clarke, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarke

Clarke Registered Member

I have been wondering for months now where all the "update" services and dll's were entering my computor. I have had windows updates shut off for years and all the update programs, wuauclt.exe, wuault1.exe, wupmgr.exe, and wscntfy.exe, blocked in my exculsions list. Yet I was still getting unwanted updates.

I have been searching for ages now looking for the leak. I knew it was possibly some kind of "Back door" program. I use Outpost Pro Firewall and just yesterday I set my component control option to maximum and saw attempted connections to www.sa.windows.com and other microsoft sites in Redmond Washington blocked by Componant Control. Upon investication I discovered this little page from microsoft. It was the damm MS Search Utility silently downloading these unwanted programs and .dll files!

So...I have added iexplore.exe to my blocked list. As for the "fix" they suggest I have been using "Classic Internet Search" for years. So changing the Search Option changes nothing. Lots of strange .dll files and little gems like "printfilterpipelinesvs.exe", whatever that does.

To add a little humor...A few months ago I got this nag screen telling me I had a bootleg version of windowsxp and I would no longer be able to recieve updates from microsoft until I payed them money.
    Here is the article in full downloaded from
    http://sa.windows.com/privacy/

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Clarke,

Are you meaning that you don't want them AUTO. updating,
    or you don't want their updates regardless ?

Then re. a separate issue, when you mention adding iexplore.exe
    to your blocked list, can you please expand on what that move will
    do, allow, and what it won't allow ?
    Reason I ask that is due to me having a rule in my Firewall,
    ' Deny iexplore.exe/tracking cookies '
    and that might be pointless - I would prefer to simply block iexplore.exe
    but don't know exactly what that would mean re. all the apps. that I do
    need the updates from.
    One time I blocked something and then couldn't get out onto the net via my browser, maybe that was iexplorer, just can't recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.