MS Office Vs Apache OO - Conflicts?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am thinking about trying Apache Open Office. I currently am using MS Office 2010.
    Would there be any conflicts as to being to use either as I would desire?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by conflicts. Do you mean conflicts having both installed? Or do you mean format incompatibilities?

The only issues I have with OO or LibO are that sometimes complex documents created in Word won't format properly either on the screen or in print when loaded into OO/LibO. You might run into that also.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I meant a conflict having both installed. I went ahead and installed Libre on my desktop, and Apache OO on the laptop.

I will have to use them awhile to see how each works.
    Jerry

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I would go ahead and install Open Office first and then MS Office 2010 on top of that. You shouldn't have any conflicts. I was running both for awhile.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I have OO and MS2010 on one computer and MS Office and LibO on the other. No problems so far.

Jerry

6. anon

anon Registered Member

May I ask something else:

All we know that Microsoft release security updates for MS Office every 1-2 months.

What about Apache Open Office / Libre Office?
    AFIK, they are not updated so often as the MS Office.
    Are they more secure and they need fewer security updates?
    Or due to the fewer security updates both of them are less secure than MS Office?

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

There may be conflicts in having both OO & LibO on the same machine, although many have reported not to have any. I ran a copy of 'Word' alongside OO for at least a year with no ill effects. Eventually I uninstalled Word & stayed with OO.

I haven't had any real problems opening MS Word documents in 'Writer'. Occasionally text boxes in some college session plans I use may not be rendered perfectly, but it's nothing I have never been able to manage. I find that saving files in an MS format, enabling others to open them on Word works fine as well. AFAIK LibO tends to update much more frequently than OO.

I found this not only tiresome but LibO was inherently buggy for me & I uninstalled it after a few months. I have used OO regularly at home & for work over five years now & it seems to get better with each release. I honestly wouldn't go back to MS Office even if I was paid to.

PortableApps do portable versions of both, although the OO version is out of date now. I use the portable OO a lot, as I never use it online I don't see any real security issues.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Only "conflict" I can think of is file associations for office documents. That is within one's control anyhow.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

When the last version of LibO that I used was released they did suggest that it may have some conflicts with OpenOffice if you have it installed as well on the same machine. Apparently they use the same file paths or something. Eventually I uninstalled OO as I wasn't sure what was happening with it at the time. Although I reverted back to OO after problems with LibO. I didn't notice any problems running OO alongside a copy of MS Word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.