Ms DOS in windows XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bananarama, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bananarama

bananarama Guest

Hi,

I have ms dos folders in lap top but I've been told that XP doesn't run ms dos.I'm wondering whether to delete them or not.
    Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You are correct - Windows XP does not run a real MS-DOS, so if you have something like an old copy of the MS-DOS executables (such as MS-DOS v622 programs - I think that's the version I had saved for use on my old Win95 system, but that was a long time ago) then those would not be needed.

But, I'm curious about how you got MS DOS folders on that system, and what's in them. I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing here before you go deleting stuff.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Actually there's a teensy bit of DOS still left, otherwise there'd be no reason to access "Command line". But for all practical purposes (meaning running virtually any DOS program), you might as well consider DOS as gone.

It's certainly a far cry from my old 98SE system, on which even fairly demanding DOS games would happily run, often in DOS windows without even having to restart in DOS mode.

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

If you are running XP on NTFS you cant run DOS (Fat16), I suppose.

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.