MS CD-ROM to fix holes in older OS's ? ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by FanJ, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

WARNING:
    At the moment I cannot confirm this "rumour"....

At one of their sites my Dutch provider posted a message.
    Giving a link makes no sense (I'm afraid), cause I guess you need to have access to it.

I will give the message both in Dutch (that will be a quote), as I will try to translate (my English is not that good....).

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

The quote in Dutch:

Beveiligings-cd voor oudere Windows-versies

8 december 2003 - Microsoft gaat een cd-rom uitgeven die oplossingen biedt voor beveiligingslekken in oudere Windows-versies. Dit meldt Automatisering Gids naar aanleiding van mededelingen op diverse bètasites. De cd zou momenteel getest worden door een kleine groep gebruikers.
    Met de cd-rom kunnen systemen die draaien op Windows 98, Windows 98 SE en Windows ME geüpdatet worden. Hiermee hoopt het bedrijf de verspreiding van virussen en wormen tegen te gaan, aldus Automatisering Gids. Het is nog onduidelijk wanneer de cd-rom verkrijgbaar is. Microsoft heeft nog niets over het project bekendgemaakt op zijn eigen website.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Trying to translate it:

Security CD for older Windows-versions.

MS is going to release a CD-ROM with fixes for security-holes in older Windows-versions.
    This message comes from (the Dutch IT-magazine) "Automatisering Gids", based upon postings on several beta-sites.
    The CD would be tested at the moment by a few people.
    With this CD systems like Windows 98-98SE-ME could be updated.
    The company (MS) would hope (by doing this) to stop the spreading of worms and viruses.
    It is not clear when the CD would be available.
    MS hasn't as of yet written anything about it on its website.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Well, so far that message.

As I said: I cannot confirm it !!!

So let's wait and see !

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Jan!

Your English is excellent. (I cannot speak nor read Dutch.)It makes sense to me. If true, then it may mean that Microsoft is making an effort to fix the barndoor after the horses escaped. Good. ;)

Larry :)

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Larry ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.