MRG Tests 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

2. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Yes, Webroot is here :thumb: - how could you not see it?
    DefenceWall is here :thumb:
    No AppGuard :thumbd:
    No Comodo :thumbd:
    They might consider including NVT ExeRadar as well.

3. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Where? Can't see it in report.

Mhm. Default settings, PUA in the testset and f.e. Kaspersky detects it all? Seems strange:ninja:

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I meant the OP, obviously you meant the report. Webroot isn't there, sorry I didn't understand what you meant.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I like their revised Methodology Used in the Tests & Samples criteria :thumb:

I "think" the reason why SAS always does so poorly, taken from what i've noted in their updates www over the years, it's "possibly" not because the're not capable of doing better, but they don't have nearly as many DEFS as other vendors !

Having said that, other tech built into SAS should prevent more fails, why it doesn't ?

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure he meant that Quarri needs the runtime library of Java, and Java is a very targeted runtime library hence posing a risk for any PC running it.

8. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Interesting that Avast got 100%, with user input, even though the samples included potentially unwanted applications and Avast was set to default (where it does not detect potentially unwanted programs.)

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Personally, I am very disappointed with this latest MRG test.

It is applicable to WIN 7 x86 only. Many of the AVs tested do not have equal protective features under x64. NIS 2013 for example does not protect against global hooking, keyloggers, and the like under x64.

Then there is the testing methodolgy. All that was tested was user initiated downloads via IE. Next, equal weight was given to context and full system scan detection. How many non-technical users do context scans after a download? The PUA sample size was very small and I didn't see adware mentioned so I assume no samples existed in this category.

10. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

One might reason the PUA (or PUP as avast! calls it), carrying additional payload, was most likely snagged by another Shield as its malicious activities progressed.

Perhaps the auto sandbox thing and where the Cloud is queried and returns that "as yet unrecognized" dialogue prompting a user decision? Sorry, I forget the exact wording and process events for this example. :doubt:

Yet, 100% is 100% even tho not for The Masses.

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Probably not many :( But they also tested whether the sample is detected, or not, when it's executed.

12. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

13. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Then it should be zero. But it's complete nonsense to shows figures or diagrams without numbers...

14. itman

itman Registered Member

This is like going back 10+ years ago and applying test methodlogies that were applicable at that time.

No wonder so many participants did so well. Again one of the lamest tests I have seen in some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.