MRG Team performes their first Real Time test!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Astech, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astech

Astech Registered Member

Malware Research Group just published their first real time test, they used "only" 22 samples but that proved too much for some!

They also tested only ten programs, but in my opinion almost all of my favorites are there.

Enjoy!

http://malwareresearchgroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47

p.s. I'm glad that I use what I use.....

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's interesting.
    Small malware database, but at least the malware that is missed by a program in the test is listed.

Astech,
    They did also later test Prevx and MSE according to that page. That makes an even dozen programs tested.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Neither the full Panda security product was included, nor PCAV (Cloud Antivirus) - I would be most interested to see how beta 2 of PCAV does on this test.

4. Astech

Astech Registered Member

Looks like I missed Prevx and MSE, wasn't posted at time I was there. Excellent result for Prevx I might add:thumb:

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

MSE missed six malware.

6. raven211

Yes, we can see that. :D :p

7. The fox

The fox Registered Member

Quite intresting result, Altho I have seen reviews where NOD32 manages to catch all malicious programs, and also managed to clean a sandbox almost completely from viruses, rootkits etc, so I wonder how they got to the results they did.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm a bit skeptical they used only 22 malware samples some of which are 2 months old, in 2 months you could collect about 10k samples, I wouldn't be skeptical at all if these samples we're "high hitters" popular infections, but for all we know, they could be 1-hit extinct files, which brings us back to http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archi...your-guide-a-proposal-for-security-tests.aspx

Can someone prove me wrong?

9. Astech

Astech Registered Member

Humm one would expect that all should be capable of detecting "high hitters", they also used some very fresh samples, but then again you can never predict which will become "high hitters" and when;)

p.s. Conficker was discovered about 2 months before people took it seriously, and we all know how that story ended.

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Interesting indeed.

11. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Yes yes yes, very nice and i'm sure they are viable results. But i thought tests with limited samples wern't allowed on here ? I know my recent test on several Anti's got locked.

I'm NOT saying this thread, or similar, should be pulled/locked etc, as i feel they are very good " indicators " as to how well products are ahead, or not, at that particular time.

And further, you can definately piece together a consistent pattern of effectiveness, or not, of products the more that tests such as this are done. Same thing goes for online testing of samples, with the likes of VT/Jotti etc, and of course now the Cloud based approach too.

12. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

Hi,

it could be true that they have 10.000 samples, but for the moment, there is no system of testing them all realtime. Remember that it all takes a long time to test, it's not a simple on-demand scan.

What I did find funny was this :
    Later followed by this :
    But I guess we all know where the strong and weak part of CIS is ?

Also nice to finally see Prevx tested ! It's seems like a good application, keep up the good works dev team :thumb:

eXPerience

13. raven211

Prevx was already tested by PCMag, which Prevx themselves said did them justice in terms of methodology. This is quite some time ago.

14. raven211

They would do justice testing Norton 2010 as it's beta just like for example MSE - there's a huge difference between 2009 and 2010.

15. elapsed

Um, if the samples are from 2 months ago, sounds like an on-demand scan to me my friend. The only true real time tests I've seen are the ones on youtube with people downloading FRESH files from malicious URL's.

16. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Not sure which test you are talking about? The test we are all talking about is the one in the first hyperlink!

The test clearly says:

"Samples used in this test are a mix of new (few days old) and a bit older (about one month old)"

The methodology is also detailed and states:

8. All 22 samples of malware are packed inside exe files (executable files).
    9. The test is conducted by trying to run (execute) the malicious applications (samples).

Puss

17. elapsed

Ok, now that sounds like real-time scanning, but it also sounds like a "what decompression methods you support" test, thank you.

18. subset

subset Registered Member

The methodology is soo detailed that you don't even know the settings they have chosen for the programs. :p

Were all products tested with out-of-the-box settings? Or highest settings?
    Also CIS with Defense+... but the mode was o_O

Cheers

19. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I personally tested NIS 2010 beta and I really was not impressed. Do you believe that NIS 2010 recommended me to install coolwebsearch as a safe product, a known spyware? Needless to say that I was really taken aback. Very soon CogitoTesting will dynamically test a lot of these products and we will be fair to all.

Tests are being conducted as I'm typing the reply. Our blog will be up and running soon where all of our (testing) videos will be posted as well as on youtube. We are testing the least known products first, no disrespect to any companies, like F-Prot, Arcavir, K7 Computing, QuickHeal etc...

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are you testing hips/sandboxes?if you do please test DefenseWall;)

21. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Yes we will test not only Defensewall but also GeSwall. For that matter, if you or anyone has a product that they would like us include in our tests please let me know through some posts or private messages. Our testing calendar is pretty much set though. I will soon post our contact information as well as the link to our website a.k.a blog when it is up and running.

22. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Agreed. As suggested by the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, a key improvement in AV-comparatives is to weight the detection of each sample by its prevalence. In this way, the test will more closely mirror the real world experiences of users. Unfortunately, this was not done by the Malware Research Group.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks alot:thumb:

24. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

A good point.

As Dan from Symantec said, “inside tip - wait till av-comparatives and other testers of pro-active detection test it - it {Norton Internet Security 2010} will blow away our previous approach” (see this thread).

25. raven211

Norton recommended you to... what? :blink: Uh... I really need a screenshot of this... o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.