MRG Flash Tests 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LODBROK, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sure, but it's not a (traditional) sig if you know what I mean.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Hmm, Avast failed the last 8 tests :( It's good that AutoSandbox is coming to help improve protection against zero-day malware.

5. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

6. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

Avira failed all those test too.

Prevx and MBAM seems like the only ones that provide very good protection in this test and since you can't test ride Prevx:

Does anyone experienced MBAM Full conflicts with either Avira (free) or Online Armor ? ;)

7. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

norton clearing all,,, a relief :)

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Woooah, first time EAM misses one :rolleyes:

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

If you count the last 8 test since I posted, Avira passed 1, but it's Avira Premium, so you cant' be sure Free would have passed it too.
    Defensewall and Zemana Anti-logger also pass a lot of tests.

MBAM full works alongside most security products, there are a few for which special settings are required, but Avira and OA are not among them:
    http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

I used MBAM full myself alongside Avast and Nod32 without problems. You might want to exclude each product to prevent one from doublescanning the other's files.

10. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

same as Vipre

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

MBAM is a wonderful program either full time or On demand. The only thing that I haven't used on it is the IP blocking. I'm very happy with either clearCloud or Norton DNS.

12. atomomega

IMO, MBAM's web protection is more comprehensive since it blocks at IP level while DNS services are limited to block only at URL level.

13. kjdemuth

DNS service is blocking at the IP level as well. Since DNS is merely a name of a certain IP address. DNS was created so folks wouldn't have to remember a long and confusing IP address. Whats the difference if Norton DNS blocks you from going to a certain IP address and MBAM blocks the same IP address.

14. malexous

malexous Registered Member

What about Norton and VIPRE? Or Norton and especially Emsisoft Anti-Malware, if you are considering from 2010 onwards.

15. atomomega

This is what I'm trying to explain: http://forums.clearclouddns.com/messageview.aspx?catid=234&threadid=6777&enterthread=y
    http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=10138&view=findpost&p=162100

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  16. kjdemuth

This is what I'm saying....
    "How does it work?

DNS (Domain Name Service) is like a phonebook. Each time your computer visits a web site, it needs to get the IP address of the site – computers only connect to IP addresses, not human-friendly names. When Norton DNS is used, it delivers these IP addresses very fast, plus it does a quick check on each site to make sure that it isn't bad. If it is, you are protected from the site but you will get detailed information on why we think that the site is bad. This information comes from our Safe Web database. You can search any site at safeweb.norton.com. Norton Safe Web processes billions of requests each day to deliver ratings for users when they are searching on the Internet."

So you see it doesn't really matter if your blocking the IP address or the DNS request. Either software is blocking the address whether it be an ip address or domain name.

17. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

never tried vipre but it seems good and light from what people say ...

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

No, it's not. What you're saying is partially correct, if you go to evilwebsite.com, your browser will do a request to norton DNS, N-dns recognizes it as bad and doesn't give the correct IP so you don't visit the bad site. With MBAM you do the same dns request, you get the correct IP, MBAM sees the connection to bad IP and blocks it. If you look at it like that it's indeed the same, because the bad site is blocked with both methods. However, Norton DNS doesn't block IP's directly, it denies the DNS request. So if you go directly to the bad IP, no DNS request is made and you can visit the site. Or if you're infected with a keylogger or botnet software and it tries to connect back to the origin/command & control server to report keystrokes or send spam etc. then Norton DNS can do nothing about it, while MBAM can because it blocks at IP level. I think that is what AtomOmega is trying to say.

19. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I guess the prime question then would be which service has the larger database and/or the quickest response to new malware sites.

20. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

Well, I suppose I should state that For Me, Prevex and MBAM ....
    I'm subscribed to MRG RSS feed and from what i remember Norton, Vipre and EAM failed at some point in 2011 test. I didn't double check it though.

I've tested Norton and EAM and they both are good AVs. They just don't suite me well and i like Avira much, so that leaves Prevex and MBAM. Sorry for bad wording in previous post.

IP blocking and DNS blocking could work together without problem IMO. As someone stated before, there could be situation when malware(keylogger, malware downloader etc.) phones home using only IP or when block list of IP addresses block something not block yet by DNS service. It could be especially important when dealing w/ zero-day malware, so it could be a good idea to have one or both :)

21. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Neither Norton nor VIPRE failed in 2011.

22. atomomega

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. :thumb: Sorry to all for the hijack. :D

23. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

24. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I got the sample. DefenseWall didn't fail, infection of the system was prevented.

25. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

Yes, we should point out that this sample does not infect the system in a traditional way, instead it locks it.

Regards,
    Sveta

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.