MRG Flash Tests 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LODBROK, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Re: MRG and kudos to Eset

I am not a Yankee fan, rather a suffering Met fan. You don't have to tell me the Mets stink. I already know it.

I have been using Eset for a long time and would like to see them perform better on these tests. They claim they have great heuristics but don't do well on these tests.

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Re: MRG and kudos to Eset

They tend to depend on heuristics but it is not enough nowadays.. I hope they bring some module which will help a user against zero day malwares..:cautious:

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

And that's a weak point of ESET IMO, they are depending on signatures too much! :rolleyes:

4. Kernelwars

entirely my good friend:argh:

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Hopefully big changes in v5 to improve zero-day detection.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nah, we got the Generic sigs as well, don't forget that my good friend;)

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

DefenseWall always pass such tests :thumb:

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

The truth is ESET does great at detecting relevent malware, which is about 1% of the total malware :D.
    Indeed enabling pre-release updates will also improve detection a little, also version 5 will bring more Cloud computing. However it is yet unknown how exactly, I just hope they don't use Cloud as the buzzword like many other vendors do.

I think I found my perfect security setup with ESET Smart Security and Zemana AntiLogger (thanks to the free license).

9. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Seems Norton is killing that malware on a regular basis. I see "A Lot "of green behind the Norton name!

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think most Norton good performances are more likely due to their SONAR and reputation modules than the raw detection capabilities. :thumb:

With that said, don't take my opinion as a fact i said "I THINK". ;)

11. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Sonar is part of the program and how can you discount that? Can we discount the PrevX engine in PervX because it is cloud?

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh noooo :ouch:
    Sorry for misunderstanding, i was not trying to take down Norton credits!!
    Norton IS very good (My bro even has a license for NIS because i recommended it to him), but i was just saying it's Sonar and reputation system really brings them the best results in combination with their engine :)

13. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

I totally agree with you. In fact, as stated in some threads in their forum and here, without internet connection, SONAR is experiencing hard times detectionwise. But after all it's user's preference - if you want a classic-type pure antivirus, for me Norton is out of the question. As a all-in-one solution for a PC of a regular user, without any other security software installed, and stressing mostly on prevention of infecting a clean system, then NIS 2011 is a good choice as it's automatic. And there are many (I know a few myself) people who would like exactly that, as the purpose of their PCs is to serve them, not to enslave them testing antiviruses. Sorry for being a bit harsh but for many people security is a pretty vague idea coming down to an AV, or Security Suite at the most.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice to see someone that understands me :D

BTW, the original link in the thread wasn't directly linked to the file.
    By the time i actually read the thread another test was released, so the link wasn't really the flash tests summary!!
    I was like Hmmm this is weird and i never actually found the real PDF until today! :D

For the direct link, click below.
    Malware Research Group :thumb:
    I just noticed EAM detected 100% of the threats!!
    I found that impressive because EAM protection relies on signatures mostly and they caught all of the nasties :blink:
    Hoorah for EAM! :thumb: :thumb:

15. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

PE Guard also was scoring 100%. Unfortunately, it may never be further developed. It seems Wilder's members have given up on this application.
    Pedersen, where are you ??

16. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

On *ONE* test. That's nothing. Enough hype for this program for crying out loud.

17. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Get your facts straight before posting !!
    Look here for the tests and click in lower left corner to continue listing tests.
    http://malwareresearchgroup.com/category/malwareproducttesting/
    Pe Guard scored 32/32 (100%) in tests IN ADDITION to passing the banking browser test.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I guess that he meant 1 test = 1 article :rolleyes:
    Anyways, i never heard about PE Guard :D

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

They are 32 different tests run over a period of three months.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I never said they were not 32 tests, just stating that he might confused 1 article with 1 test ;)
    Peace & Love dudeee! :D

21. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

22. Kernelwars

hahah so thats sigs again:argh: :argh: my good friend

23. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Well, since MRG fails to report which component(s) of any of those apps snags the bad guys, any conjecture outside of the pass/fail occurrence is just that - conjecture. But I do understand you enthusiasm for EAM. Which you're... Not. Using. Currently.

True that EAM shines brilliant in any testing venue, that it (or any of those suites) "relies on" sigs can be debated; certainly that doesn't figure prominently in their marketing. EAM includes white/blacklisting (Community), URL/IP filtering (Surf Protection) and, of course, their killer HIPS - integrated Mamutu. And I'm sure I recall heuristics in the mix tho I forget if that's just an on-demand scan component.

Anyhow...
    It's still early in this new series but very surprising are those Big Gun failures to date. As well it's so far mirroring last year's tests (with an occasional exception) where if BitDefender passes or fails so does Immunet Plus. Similarly, GData will fail if both Avast and BD fail or pass if either or both pass.

I'm beginning to think Windows' firewall, a simple HIPS (like WinPatrol) with MBAM Pro and Zemana is all the layering we need.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha, so true man :p
    I was just saying my opinions based on "Everyday Usage" :rolleyes: and because i really feel Mamutu is quite bad at detecting and alerting suspicious activities, for an average user. (Pop ups only gives you a description of what's going on and you can easily go wrong if the user don't know) :D

Anyways, it was all speculation :)
    Thanks for your opinion, i would like them to note what module is preventing the nasties in their future tests :D

25. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

That's funny. I tried to find more tests of PE GUARD on their website before but couldn't. That however doesn't change my opinion much since I don't have much trust in MRG to begin with, and my experiences with the program are different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.