MP3 Pro encoding

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by n8chavez, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have my entire library, of about 12,000 tracks, encoded in mp3pro 80kbps. In the past I've used Jetaudio to encode tracks in mp3pro but it appears that is does not work in Windows 7 64-but. I have also used Nero's encoder in the past, but that was in the 5.5 days and I am unsure if that'll work with my new rig. Can anyone suggest something that might work?

Thanks all.

P.S. Be safe tonight.

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

The latest version of Nero supports Mp3Pro encoding, and I am sure it works on 64 bit Windows 7, though I have not tried it.

Mp3Pro did not gain wide spread acceptance, so few applications support it.

I recommend you convert your future media to AAC-LC or just plain Mp3.

3. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

...or to ogg format. Good quality, free, and quiet small.

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Do many cd players support ogg? In many cases the choice of codec is limited by the support from industry. For example, take mp3pro, there are very few mp3 players that support mp3pro and hence it is not popular.

Also, one more factor undermining mp3pro is that it was primary designed for low bandwidth online audio transmission. Where bandwidth is not an issue, it is better to go with regular mp3.

5. n8chavez

I much prefer mp3pro. I use the higheset encoding settings. I tried ogg vorbis -7.00 but I found that my files sounded horrible; the lows and bass where virtually non-existant in comparison. That could be because I was working from mp3s, but I buy mp3s not CDs.

I actually ran Nero in XDP compatability mode and that seemed to work perfectly.

Thanks.

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

So you were transcoding mp3's into vorbis and you complain about how vorbis sounds after that? :rolleyes: You can't do lossy ---> lossy and expect good results.

The only way to accurately test it is to encode vorbis from the original CD or a FLAC, and do the same with an mp3. I will guarantee that you will either find that vorbis sounds better or that you can tell no difference in it and mp3. My whole collection consists on nothing but ogg vorbis as I try to stay away from proprietary formats like MP3. Besides, ogg vorbis is a better codec, imo. There are portable players that support it (like the Sandisk models for instance). You can also play it on iPod if you install Rockbox.

At any rate, if you must use mp3, then use the LAME encoder. It is widely considered the best sounding by audiophiles and is open-source. For the best quality use -V0.

Here is a list of Windows lame encoders.

7. n8chavez

You must not be understanding me, all I have are my mp3pro files and the only reason I needed to try something new was because I couldn't get JetAudio to work on Windows 7 64-but. I do not have anything else. So the best the files will sound is the "original" and not an encoded copy. Normally I agree with you but I have limited choices to work with here, given my 20,000+ library.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.