MP3 license changes - now DECODERS must pay

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by javacool, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Quote from Slashdot:
    Note, MP3 decoding applications can also pay $60,000 US as a one-time charge.

<discussion-starting propaganda>
    Will this mark the beginning of a new open-source, free format? And if so, what formats are already available out there that might take a tighter hold in the mass of audio files?
    </discussion-starting propaganda>

-Javacool

2. root

root Registered Member

Sounds like the door just opened for Ogg Vorbis.
    What a name. :D

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

It's the old "now that my free stuff is ingrained in society and people can't do without it, I can start charging a mitfull" plan. Seen that before. There would never have been dedicated hardware to play mp3s had this licence agreement been like this from the start.

Image formats like JPG also cost a bundle for developers, spurring the free format PNG. I'm sure the same will happen for audio, video etc.

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

.ogg is better anyway as I hear it. Better sound quality in smaller file sizes.

5. root

root Registered Member

Unfortunately its going to take a little time to change over. Spread the word to support it, please. :D

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

WinAmp3 has full support for .ogg, correct? It is listed on the WinAmp3 FAQ page, but I have not yet downloaded or tested WinAmp 3 (let alone any .ogg files).

In a side note - what good encoders are available for the .ogg format? (Any that are Windows-compatible?) Which one would you recommend (based on speed, features, etc - I can't seem to locate many reviews on the subject).

-Javacool

7. root

root Registered Member

I don't know much about it yet. I read a couple of articles that The Register, US Edition did on it over the last month or so.
    http://www.theregus.com/content/archive/25588.html
    http://www.theregus.com/content/6/25690.html
    Its my understanding its open source. If I come across any good articles, I'll share them here.
    And yes, I believe Winamp and in fact most of the newer MP3 players support Ogg Vorbis already.
    More info here.
    http://www.vorbis.com/

8. Open Source

Open Source Guest

:cool:
    :cool:I algree with him totally
    now that the mp3 has become valuable due to music industry muscling there influence in cyber space and wageing war on file shareing.

mp3 are now worth something now the free source is no longer free.

Strangely due to hardware being made to play mp3s had this license agreement been like this from the start the hard ware would had never been made fully to this extent can in turn these companies sue Thomson and the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft for changing the terms of there agreement?

Think about it.

You make a license agreement and tell the world its open source code for the whole world to use freely then when every one is using it you change the terms solely cause it benefits you now.

I believe that's illegal.   

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

If it's not, then it certainly ought to be. However, I kinda figure this means that there will be a new format out soon that will be free, or so I would guess. I don't know what all the stero companies and such will be saying now that their car stereos play MP3s and home stereos too...

10. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

bahhhhh hummmmm bug i say buy flix and convert it all into swf format if you only want to listhen to it on computer.

lets see the normal mp3 is 6mb convert it to swf at the best sounding rate 2mb 3mb max file size and sounds great.

they should come out with a portable flash player lol that screw them all lol

11. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I have been using Ogg Vorbis for months now, I re-ripped all my cd's again (all 417 last count) and I'm more than happy with it, I dont own a portable player so support for hard ware worries me not, all good software media players include support as standard or via plugin so why not? And the name is sooo much cooler sounding ;)

Bad news is my tests with Musepack may see me re-ripping yet again :rolleyes:

12. root

root Registered Member

You lost me here. o_O

13. Tinribs

Meaning Root that I am suitably impressed with Musepack format, again not needing hardware support for a mobile player isn't going to afeect me,I'm happy enough with Vorbis for now but future projects may see me going more with Musepack. :)

14. Open Source

Open Source Guest

Dear Tinribs can you supply us with a link for those parties that might be interested?

15. Tinribs

Sure, without getting bogged down with too technical info I advise spending a while reading the Hydrogen Audio forums, its a great place with helpful users (me too)
    If you are interested in any compression format you'll find all you need to know there. http://www.audio-illumination.org/forums/
    I'll see you there ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.