Mozy Queries

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by n8chavez, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have just signed up for an unlimited account with the online backup service Mozy. I had a couple of question about it if someone more knowledgeable wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. How do users delete files?
    2. Must files exist on your local harddrive if they are going to exist on Mozy, or can it be used for files where there is no local copy.
    3. Do files get deleted after 30 days if there is no local copy. For that matter, will they ever get deleted as long as the account is active.
    4. I intend to use Mozy to back up everything on my local drive, backup images, documents and all my mp3s, which currently totals about 40 gig. Is this advisable?

I am certain I will have more questions the more I use Mozy.

Thanks,

n8

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I'm not a Mozy expert but I do use a MozyHome free account.

1. You can't.

2. Yes, and no, respectively. It's a backup service.
    3. Their answer:
    In my case however, I have long ago deleted files that I still can get back with Mozy. I'm not sure why.

Mozy is not a system backup program though, so don't use it to backup your Program Files or Windows folders. It's for data files.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

For a backup that large why not just use an external drive?

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have used Mozy to back up about 25 gigs of data. The initial upload time takes several days but updates are quick after that.

The fact that Mozy deletes files that are no longer on your PC caused me to look at other options. I am now using IDrive. Same cost as Mozy. A bit faster on uploads and it doesn't delete anything unless I specifically delete the files in IDrive or sync PC to IDrive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.