Mozilla will start Firefox silent updates in June

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up Ron.

3. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I wonder how this would work if you are always running firefox in a LUA on XP?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

This is it for me on FF.

They have built their rep on no script and being more secure as a browser. Google is gone over the the tracking dark side.

I'm removing FF from my PC's and I have google ips blocked in completely.

On the market I'd sell their shares short.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing for Fx. It's a bit drastic to uninstall Fx though. I always found that when Fx goes a bit dodgy, there's always SeaMonkey.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just use a portable version.

no updates.

8. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

It's things like this that make me really glad I'm still using 3.6. Mozilla promote regular updates as a means of staying secure but wadda ya do when they've become the parasite? Trusting Mozilla is all fine and dandy until someone comes along pretending to be Mozilla.

I'm a big advocate of user's having control over their own updates. Sure, there are a lot of users who either don't know how or don't want to learn how to manage their own systems, and these are the people Mozilla are trying to attract. It does make life easier, but it's a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen.

9. kupo

kupo Registered Member

AFAIK, you can turn of silent updates. :shifty:

10. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

It's easy to disable, see attachment.

Attached Files:

11. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

That's good you at least have an option. It would have been better if they'd disabled it by default and given people the option to enable it, and given a warning that enabling has the potential to be less secure. But I think the audience they're shooting for are looking for convenience so the way they've done it will probably work better for them.

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I disagree that it should be better by default.
    -As you say, a lot of their audience doesn't have layered security. That's their target with automatic updates, not users like us.
    I disagree that enabling it has potential to be less secure.
    -How can automatic updates be less secure? Patching exploits, vulnerabilities are far better than an old version of a browser. It's the same logic with Windows Updates, the recommended for the general users are to install it automatically. Again, the general users aren't using layered security, no Sandboxie, no HIPS, etc.

13. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

As quoted above, Mozilla developed it in years so I think (just my opinion :D) it will be secure :D.

15. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

But there are conditionals in there.. that the newer version really is "more secure" than the older version in some way and the newer version doesn't bring with it any new and/or changed behaviors that "reduce security" in some way. If there were strict guidelines designed to assure that silent updating would be done only to fix bugs/vulnerabilities and feature additions/changes would never be rolled out in silent updates, I would think this less of a concern. Is that what they are planning to do?

16. kupo

kupo Registered Member

But isn't a patch for an already discovered exploit much better than an unknown exploit that, as you say, "could" be presented in the newer version. Again, this feature are for those majority who are lazy to update their software. (I know a lot, but they all migrated to Chrome which also has automatic updates, good for them :D).

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i have never seen
    can i disable now? i have firefox 11.0

and 12 is out
    thanks
    cheers

18. kupo

kupo Registered Member

You can disable it when you are installing Firefox 12.

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    can i do it even during the automatic udpdate ?

20. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

much needed feature in my eyes. right now its a complete pain to update firefox on locked down windows 7 systems, the update service should solve that

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You want to do it exactly when an update is in progress?

22. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

That would depend on the relative severity and how much damage was done via each when all was said and done. That's not really what I was talking about though. As made clearer by my next sentence it is silently delivered NON-patch-related changes that concern me the most. Certain things like adding unique identifiers, adding a metrix ping which is on by default, and the consideration of supporting Google's full URL safe browsing API are just three features I recently read are on the table and those certainly aren't purely good things. Who knows how many other controversial features are on the table and what Mozilla might want to silently push out down the road and in enabled by default form (with or without patches to known vulnerabilities).

How much should we care about those who are too lazy or otherwise challenged to keep their software up to date? Should we encourage or fail to discourage a deviation from good software design principles (alert the user to important changes, get their explicit consent when it comes to controversial things, etc) and sound computer administration (check things before acceptance) to accommodate them? That I think is a deeper question than it initially seems and it requires thinking through multiple long complex future scenarios. Perhaps there is something to be said for "technological natural selection"? Perhaps this is a slippery slope and Mozilla's step will help embolden industry (which absolutely wants to control what we use and what we can/cannot do with it) to move towards a silent update model and take us another step closer to a dystopian future?

23. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Can't argue with that, it's just a matter of trust to Mozilla.
    Well I really don't care about them, but devs do. :D
    Again, its just a matter of trust. IMO, the only reasons of this automatic update is security issues. Just that :D. If Mozilla really wants control, they will not give an option to disable it during install. If the user just click their way through installation, for me, they really that automatic update. (Clicking their way through the installation is a sign of laziness ;).)

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i mean how should i update firefox to v12?
    should i download from mozilla or via firefox to avoid the service?
    thanks
    cheers

25. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I'm on Pale Moon x64 now, so I don't have that problem :D. But if I were still using Firefox, I'll do a clean install while preserving my profile. That's just me though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.