Mozilla vs. Netscape

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by minacross, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

what is the difference between Mozilla and NetScape?
    which is better to be used? why? :rolleyes:
    thanx in advance.. :)

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Netscape is a stripped down and rebranded version of Mozilla. I don't know all the differences, but I know Netscape took out a lot of the popup blocking functionality for one thing. Try Firefox, it's got even more options and usability now :)

3. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

Sorry that piece of info is outdated. While the original Netscape 7 did remove popup blocking, later versions included this. In fact, i remember 7.1 had a couple of minor features not included in the then current version of mozilla (1.4 i think). Though that was a abnormality.

In any case, you are mostly right, Netscape is mozilla plus some addtional branding. And most of the time Netscape is based on a older mozilla version (current netscape version is based on mozilla 1.7.2, the latest stable mozilla is 1.7.5). That said , I have read abt people who prefer Netscape to Mozilla because of various features

Page comparing mozilla,netscape,firefox features

http://community.wvu.edu/~ast002/mozilla/qa.html#features

See http://mozilla.gunnars.net/mozfaq_general.html

Having the java, flash plugins already included is very useful for newbies..

4. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

well...
    If you like "features", "easy" and "works"...
    you had better look at "Firefox" and use it with "plugins", "extensions" and "themes" because it looks better and is "lighter" and "faster"
    You could also try "Opera"... it's also free, faster than Netscape [on most configurations] and is also more decent looking.

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Just choose the browser that you like the most. ;)

6. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

It's well known that a lot of people have problems with firefox and plugins (not extensions!) in the past.

The fact that Netscape coming with them included is a very very big plus for newbies. Of course the supercool elite like yourself No13 dont need this hand-holding,

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

LOL
    mein gott.. deez amerikunz...
    "Supercool elite" indeed :D they'll be laughing all day and night, over at DFS .... my God...
    That, at least, is true ;)
    Stick with Netscape if you desperately want plugins and dump IE if you're not a fan of sitting in front of the PC while they hold your birthday party in the 5-star a couple of blocks over.... :D
    enjoy
    [I still recommend Firefox tho' : i don't like streaming content very mcuh... too much going on under the hood for my liking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.