Mozilla Thunderbird v1.0.6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yesterday, I installed Thunderbird as a replacement of two softwares :
    1. MS Outlook 2000 (never used MS Outlook Express)
    2. MS/Giant SpamInspector (GSI)

The main reason was to get rid of GSI, because my intuition tells me that M$ gave up on GSI.
    1. M$ doesn't even mention GSI at their website, while MSAS got all the attention.
    2. M$ still supports GSI + one small upgrade and that's it.

The second reason was that Thunderbird seems to be recommended as safer than MS Outlook by security forums/websites.
    I have read this too many times, so it has to be true, although I'm not really qualified to know why it's safer. :D
    I have to trust the security experts on that.

I'm certainly NOT disappointed in Thunderbird, on the contrary.
    The installation was easy, but that's what I expected.
    Thunderbird is lesser complicated than MS Outlook and easier to configure and that surprised me.
    (I never considered MS Outlook 2000 as userfriendly.)

Thunderbird works alot faster than MS Outlook and got rid of my junk emails in ONE SECOND. I was stupified.
    I didn't even had the time to read the subject lines of my junk emails. That's what I call speed improvement.
    I was very afraid of the anti-spam function and I still don't know how it works exactly, but the results were fantastic and as good as GSI and with an incredible speed.
    I regret already that I didn't install Thunderbird much sooner.

I'm married with M$ and I really hate to replace MS software with other non-MS softwares, simply because I don't like to install additional softwares, that are already on my computer.
    Now I have THREE email-softwares on my computer and I need only ONE, that's my point.

But that isn't the worst. Each time I replace MS softwares, I have to find out that these non-MS softwares are MUCH BETTER than M$ and that makes me really angry.
    Even the most important tools for internet, BROWSER and EMAILING of M$ are beaten by the competition and these are FREEWARES. I paid alot of money for Windows and Office.
    How is that possible ? You don't need to answer that question. There is no good answer, except UNFORGIVABLE.
    And NO, I'm not bashing M$ otherwise I wouldn't have wait so long to replace MSIE with Firefox and MS Outlook 2000 with Thunderbird. So I have been very patient with M$.

I have one question about Thunderbird.
    In the main window of Thunderbird is a column "Date", but that column shows only the time, not the DATE and the column seems to be width enough to contain the date and time ?
    Until now, I couldn't find a way to get the date in that column or is the date only visible, when the email is older than today.
    Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Billy Blaze

Billy Blaze Registered Member

This is correct.

Or you can try the extension ConfigDate

3. ErikAlbert

Thanks alot Billy. That extension saved my life.
    The column date shows now : DD.MM.YY HH:MM and that's what I wanted to see.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't use that extention, and Thunderbird show me the date with time... DD.MM.YY HH:MM

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, VaMPiRiC_CRoW

But not on one you received today. [with in the last 24hours]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

But only the emails without the today date is that have all the format.
    Why the email of today should have all the format?

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I not sure if this is what you mean but in my thunderbird every e-mail even brand new ones just in have the day/month/year and time under the date.

Attached Files:

8. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, VaMPiRiC_CRoW and bigc73542

I apologize to you both, I just checked my emails for today [no extension], and as you both say the format is there, should have checked it myself before putting my foot in my mouth. :oops:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I guarantee we have all done it more than once, no problem ;)

10. ErikAlbert

At the computer department of the company, I'm working for, we have a standard rule that time always needs a date.
    Each date has the time 09:00, so you need to know WHICH date otherwise the time is worthless as info.
    We mention even the seconds. So our format is always : DD.MM.YY HH:MM:SS and we only make exceptions, when it's absolutely necessary.
    A good exception is when we don't have enough space in a column.
    An acceptable exception could look like this DD.MM HH:MM or even DDMM HHMM.
    But time without a date isn't allowed, while date without time is allowed, because a date alone is also unique.
    Each application has it own needs for date and time.
    Date and time are usually not important, but sometimes you need both to prove something whatever the reason is.
    So you better print the date and time on each document/list or screen when it is important.

You can imagine, when you are trained, like me, year after year to use the format "DD.MM.YY HH:MM:SS" it becomes a deep-rooted habit and I can't see a time without a date. I consider this as a sin and it irritates me each time when I see it and I don't mind the absence of seconds, because sometimes it's even ridiculous to mention seconds.
    I also don't see a good reason to remove the date for "today", because it's unnecessary/confusing and it disturbs the formatting of the contents in the column "date".
    I would never mix "HH:MM" and "DD.MM.YY HH:MM" in the same column, it looks sloppy.

IMO Thunderbird shouldn't have solved this problem with an extension.
    A setting within Thunderbird would have been a much better solution, where you can choose between date and/or time.
    I know it sounds like hair-splitting for non-IT people, but in the computer world DETAILS are always important and sometimes wrong decisions or bugs can have serious consequences, I don't need to tell this at WSF.
    Once we have our beer in a pub, we brainstorm alot about details :D

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

No problem ;)

Like bigc said, it also happen to us...

Regards

12. ErikAlbert

Thunderbird doesn't seem to have email statistics and I didn't find them amongst the many extensions either.
    I'm interested in how many junk-emails, I receive per day (average).
    (normally I say spam-emails, but Thunderbird calls them junk-emails)

I received in the beginning more than 100 junk-emails per day and now I have only 50 junk-emails per day.
    So I have more than 50% lesser junk-emails than in the beginning and that's very good of course.
    Don't ask me how this happened. I only ignore and delete my junk-emails immediately without even opening them.

It's not really a must, but it's nice to know if my number of junk-emails is increasing or decreasing.
    Any experienced Thunderbird users, who know more about statistics, than me after using it only two days. I did my best, but I couldn't find them. :D
    TIA

13. ErikAlbert

Just an update.
    I'm using Thunderbird since 2005.08.25 (9 days) and I ditch alot of softwares after 3 days, but Thunderbird is an exception.

I don't trust the extension "ConfigDate" yet, because I saw a date, that was equal to "today+1", which was impossible, but Thunderbird is SO FAST, that I hardly could see it and I'm so quickly to get rid of spam-emails.
    So I keep an eye on that extension, but that is a very small problem.

Thunderbird is a bit slow in opening, just like Firefox, but after that it works faster than MS Outlook 2000 (I never used MS Outlook Express).

I'm stupified (or is it stunned ?) by the anti-spam function of Thunderbird and above all it's speed.
    Each time I open Thunderbird, my inbox is CLEAN in just ONE SECOND (= detecting + removing spam-email).

My advice : if you still use MS Outlook 2000/Express, try Thunderbird.
    I already regret it that I waited so long to use Thunderbird.
    That's what you get, when you trust Microsoft.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thunderbird is excellent, and for me the best... ;)

15. ErikAlbert

Thanks for confirming it VaMPiRiC_CRoW. For awhile I thought I was alone.
    I'm not an easy person to approve software, but Thunderbird blew my socks off (I hope this is English :D )

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Me too, but when I love a program and nothing is better... ;)

17. Billy Blaze

This is how mine appears without the ConfigDate extension.

Attached Files:

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Here you have mine without the ConfigDate extension...

Attached Files:

19. Billy Blaze

"By default the Mozilla Suite and Thunderbird display the time only (without the date) for messages less than one day old. For messages older than this, both the date and time will be displayed.

In addition to the settings shown above, the precise display formats for date/time can also be affected by the system settings for date/time on your computer. For instance, depending on your computer's system settings, the numerical display format for the date could be "31.12.1999", "1999/12/31", "12/31/1999", or something else.

In Windows XP, you can change the settings for date/time format by going to the Control Panel

This page was last modified 00:59, 3 September 2005."

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Date_display_format

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.