Mozilla Rewriting A Lot Of Code For Upcoming Firefox V3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Sounds exciting, but I wish they would make FF a lot faster to start up, that´s what´s keeping me from using it as my primary browser. And this must be possible to do not? For example, Dr Orca (Gecko based) is a lot faster to start up.

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I agree. FF takes an inordinate amount of time to fire up on my system...

snowbound

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I just tried Dr Orca again (tried it a couple of years ago the first time when it was beta 1, now it is RC 3) but the development isnt that hasty :)

Sure it is faster than FF when it starts and when rendering but as far as I can see there is still no support for extensions (being gecko based as it is) and that is the problem for me. Firefox with its easy extensions makes at least me keep it, it doesnt matter if it takes two seconds longer to open than Dr orca or IE, you just dont have the same flexibilty with other browsers.

Personally I would like Firefox try to make the browser faster when many extensions are installed and loaded (might be impossible though), coz those are the reason for FF being slower in browsing than IE, Opera, K-meleon and others that boast about being faster than FF or anything else. If I have a clean FF out of the box I cant feel much differense in browsing speed comparing to those above mentioned really.

*edit*

Is it really Geckobased? I mean it inherits IE´s history o_O all the sites I have entered in the address bar in IE is in Dr Orca too...

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

The more extensions the longer it takes to load up.

6. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I agree, but i am still using FF as my primary browser. I like customizing my browser and FF has some neat extensions that i personally like! It does sound very intresting!

Thanks to ronjor for finding a another nice article :thumb:

Kristian

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I hope Firefox 3 uses less memory.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Agreed. I have very few extensions. AdBlock Plus and a dictionary. That's it. I did try IE Tab, but not using now.

I believe in keeping things as simple as possible in terms of appearance and feel.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

If FF used less memory it would also be nice, but the slow startup problem is really unacceptable. I did notice that FF will start up quickly once it´s loaded once, but other apps are able to remove FF from RAM, this happens for example if I load a memory intensive app like VMWare Workstation. And then it will once again take 20 seconds to start up. o_O

10. SinisterSam

SinisterSam Registered Member

why people complain about FF? open source & best browser available. easiest to secure with many eyes because code available. extensions to do anything u want only if u want . if u complain help improve please. ;-) kmeleon is really good too. flock not bad either.

bestests regards.

sammy

11. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I've been using K-Melon with Java, JavaScript, Popups and Cookies disabled for a couple of months now. It's lightening fast and as I haven't had a problem with malware I'm going to continue using it for the foreseeable future. It seems pretty secure to me. The only time I use FF now is when I'm downloading something or other. FF has so many useful extentions that increase security and make the installation of new programs a far safer prospect. For this reason alone it will remain on my desktop and if they do something about the unreasonable memory usage of the browser and increase it's spped then I will start to use it again.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree about the slow startup.. They really ought to take the SeaMonkey quick launch code and incorporate that into Firefox as an option. Preload parts of FF giving it a faster startup.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree. I really hate its slow start up. This is the main reason that I trimmed my FF extesnsions from about 10 to just 4 and still it loads slow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.