Mozilla resists US gov't request to nuke "MafiaaFire" add-on

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Warlockz, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Story Here

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Good news, if we always followed government orders then there would be no democracy.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It's a request, not an order. Unless the DHS has the legal muscle to order Mozilla to take the add-on down, there's nothing to "resist", actually.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I live outside of the Continental USA, so this shouldn't affect me. The US Homeland Security must have given this some thought though. Just because the king of the bogeymen is definitely deceased doesn't mean that there aren't still threats to national security.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Me too. I also feel that Mozilla should comply with this request.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dont, the addon simply lets u find the new address to sites that have been taken down by the government (eg. pirate sites, torrents, etc. for the most part) this is simply more corporate influence on the government that wer all used to from the US these days.

7. Daveski17

Interesting. If this is to do with pirates, cracks & torrenting, what has it actually got to do with Homeland Security?

8. Frankfree

Frankfree Registered Member

We are in deep **** with all those Government request. Internet is very unsafe these days

9. firzen771

and thats the problem; it doesnt have anything to do with "homeland security".

10. Daveski17

Now, that is worrying. Of course, I suppose the government's argument is that it is trying to remove potential terrorist recruiting sites or something similar.

11. firzen771

they always do have an excuse, but what is really being targeted are pirate/copyright infringing sites, it can be seen all over the internet, torrent sites are being taken down left and right. I wouldnt rely on the US government to be honest, its simply become a vehicle for corporations to use in achieving their own agendas.

12. Daveski17

NO governments are honest!

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And, given the state of public awareness and activism, the US government is probably more honest than others.

14. Daveski17

I honestly don't know. My government, supposedly the cradle of democracy, tells enough porkies. Well, if not outright pork pies; half-truths & disinformation. ;)

15. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

From the article:
    Okay, I'll admit it......I'm confused. Why in the hell is the DHS concerned with copyright and trademark infringement?

According to the DHS web site their responsibilities are:

*Prevent Terrorism and Enhance Security
    *Secure and Manage our Borders
    *Enforce and Administer our Immigration Laws
    *Safeguard and Secure Cyberspace
    *Ensure Resilience to Disasters
    *Mature and Strengthen the Department of Homeland Security

The only responsibility that even comes close to the issue at hand is 'safeguarding and securing cyberspace'.....BUT, in that regard, the Department states that it works to:

*analyze and reduce cyber threats and vulnerabilities;
    *distribute threat warnings; and
    *coordinate the response to cyber incidents to ensure that our computers, networks, and cyber systems remain safe.

I'll be damned if I can figure out how infringement of intellectual property pertains to any of the above. It appears as if they might be in the process of expanding their "responsibilities".

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Code:
    What the [U]next[/U] logical step in this progression will be?
    [B]Requiring [COLOR=Red]search  engines[/COLOR][/B] to [U]stop[/U] [U]returning[/U] results for [B]seized [/B][U]domain names[/U]? 
    ;)

17. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

The government would like to control you from the womb to the tomb if they could get away with it.

18. Daveski17

I don't know whether this is all paranoia or something of genuine concern. I just hope it doesn't give MI5 ideas!

19. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I can see both sides. MafiaaFire sounds like a benign add-on that has the potential for abuse by outlaws. If I were Mozilla I wouldn't remove it either unless forced to by a legal ruling. I can understand the DHS's concern, but the US is still a country ruled by law not the elite. At least it's supposed to be, really it's ruled by money.

20. Daveski17

As is the rest of the world, regardless of what various (often twisted) ideologies claim.

21. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

just because we are paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there trying to get us. Never heard of mafiaafire until the government brought it up.

22. Daveski17

Also available for Chrome according to their page.

And ... straight from the horse's mouth:

"Well, in one word: fairness – and balance of power.
    A little while back the scumbag anti-piracy organizations like the RIAA and MPAA (Also known as the Music and Film Industry Association of America – MAFIAA) ran to the American government whining like they usually do and got ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) involved with taking down websites – local AND foreign websites."

23. Daveski17

Unfortunately, that can turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm beginning to see this from Mozilla's point of view now. This almost certainly is not to do with the security of the United States but a corporate attempt to clamp down on torrenting sites & the like. I just hope this doesn't give my government ideas. I really can't see MI5 doing anything like this but I am not so sure about organisations like SOCA.

24. guest

guest Guest

Is there any way to download this and save it to
    your hard drive "just in case it becomes unavailable"

I have look for a direct download but all I have been able to find
    is to do the install

Thanks

25. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I can't. For the DHS to be concerned with copyright and trademark infringement, it would have to be one of their areas of responsibility and, officially at least, it's not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.