Mozilla readies Firefox 1.0 release

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

all you have to delete is the firefox folder in program files, when you install the new version all of your settings will remain

bigc

2. seakiwi

seakiwi Registered Member

Many thanks. All seems fine now. Now I just have to try to remember a handy hint someone gave me ages ago, about how to edit "something" ( I don't remember what!) to allow you to move the Googlebar onto another toolbar.

<racks brains and scratches head>

Thanks again :)

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Simple, uninstall old version, install new one, run new version and all your everything will be right there.

4. seakiwi

No ... I did that. I did what you suggested, uninstalled, and reinstalled, and yes, all my settings are intact, but whatever that particular "handy edit" was, it didn't save. My Googlebar is back in it's original default position.

Somebody way back when I first switched to FF, told me what to add (probably to my user profile - I don't remember what file I had to edit now), which made the Googlebar "moveable". I was then able to drag it up bedside the address bar, or onto any other toolbar I wanted it.

It was a very useful little edit, and I can't for the life of me remember how to do it, or where I got it. It's the usual story - hindsight is never around when you need it - I should have saved it somewhere for future reference.

Never mind - It might turn up yet :)

5. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

seakiwi - right-click on any toolbar and select Customize. You can then set up your toolbars as you want :)

6. seakiwi

Yes I realise that :)

Maybe I'm too tired to be posting - either that or I'm losing my touch with explaining things ;)

I'm talking about the Mozilla Googlebar extension - which although it is not listed in the FF 1.0 extensions list, still appears to work perfectly with this version. When you install that bar, it defaults to it's own particular toolbar, and you cannot move it to any other toolbar. The 'customise toolbars' feature doesn't work with it. It never has done as far as I am aware, but there was a 'workaround' for it - which is what I was talking about in my last posts.

It's not a big deal and I'm not going to worry about it any longer, as I've pretty much decided the inbuilt search bar will do the job anyway - it has some added features in this version, that I hadn't noticed before. BTW, the new extension to add a re-size thumb to the search window, is an excellent addition, for anyone who is interested.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I was running FireFox 1.0 PR.
    Used the update feature to get the 1.0 milestone.

Install was smooth and the registry was very clean.
    The only thing I had to do was browse and install a theme. ;)
    I didn't clear the Mozilla FireFox program file.

This installer via FireFox's update is good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.