Mozilla quietly ceases Firefox 64-bit development

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ams963, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Many plugins have no 64-bit version.
    -JavaScript performance in the 64-bit builds is substantially slower than in the 32-bit version.

Firefox developers say a fully supported 64-bit version of Firefox won't be released in the first half of 2013,
    and it probably won't make the second half either.

Too bad...:(

2. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Who cares about Java? Most of the CPU usage is due to flash and sliverlight and both have 64 bit versions.
    64 bit plug ins won't come into existance when there is no Official Firefox. seriously why would anybody write 64 bit plug ins without 64 bit firefox. nobody will ever do it. Mozilla has to step up it's game. Pale moon is 64 bit, it's stable, it's faster and is compatible with plug ins. Mozilla released 64 bit version of FF for linux and apple... But no windowso_O? seriously, this is a clear cut moronic decision.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Flash, Java, and Silverlight all have 64bit plugins as I recall. It's other things like Norton Toolbar and the like that don't.

4. jo3blac1

Again, companies will not develop 64 bit plug ins until there is 64 bit Firefox. Those that are missing some plug ins are free to use 32 bit version.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Well, this is Not always the case...

RealPlayer offers a Video-Download plugin that allows users to download Flash videos.

-With Firefox,the respective RealPlayer plugin works just fine.

-With Pale Moon and Comodo IceDragon, the respective RealPlayer plugin does Not work.
    At least, this was the case one month ago...

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

7. jo3blac1

Again.... companies will not develop 64 bit plug ins until there is 64 bit browser.

8. newbino

newbino Registered Member

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I do Not use it, too.
    The respective Plugin does Not require RealPlayer.
    However, this RealPlayer Plugin allows users to download videos when other tools fail.

Once in a while, it is a very useful plugin...;)

10. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, particularly since most add-ons wouldn't have worked in a multiprocess FF. It was, probably, a necessary tactical decision to put Electrolysis on hold.

11. Hungry Man

Not a great excuse on their part. Chrome is going to break almost every extension with its new content security policy. It's doing it anyways because the security benefits are significant.

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Did someone mention RealPlayer?

Don't do it mate! :eek:

You'll thank me one day.

Honestly though, I'm pretty sure that it was the RealPlayer plug-in that gave me all those problems years ago with Firefox 3. It was around the time I started to use Opera & SeaMonkey.

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I wonder what m00nbl00d will think of that considering his reaction to IE10 EPM.

14. Hungry Man

Well, it's seamless to the user, which is the big difference between those situations I guess.

15. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

While I want to agree it's no great excuse, I don't think Mozilla can afford the luxury of breaking extensions again. At least, not now when the extension developers and users are still in 'recovery' mode from the 'nightmares' they had to go through :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.