Mozilla/Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Michael_aust, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I downloaded Mozilla/Firefox yesterday and at present I am very impressed with it. The only query I have is to do with extensions. I looked on their extension site the one listed on the mozilla.org site and there are a few security extensions that look interesting. What im just wondering though is are these extensions safe, do they get checked to see that they are not in them selves spware etc?

Michael

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Michael

If you stick to the extensions page for Firefox, you will be okay. If you load extensions from other sources, you are on your own.

Update.mozilla.org is the default download site for extensions. These extensions have been tested for compatibility and safety.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

3. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

I can't figure out why everyone is so impressed with FIrefox. It takes 3X longer to load a typical webpage than IE. Its relatively slow to load up from a start as well. I think peeps are just bored with IE and want something new, even if it is inferior.

4. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

Yes firefox does seem to take longer when you first open a web page. but once it is in your cache it is quicker to load then what IE when that has th page in its temporery internet files. Well thats it what I have experianced so far.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Privacy and Security

Built with your security in mind, Firefox keeps your computer safe from malicious spyware by not loading harmful ActiveX controls. A comprehensive set of privacy tools keep your online activity your business.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

For quicker builds of Firefox, there are several "optimised" builds available. Where the official builds are set for all systems, these are builds optimised for specific processors.

My favorites are build by MOOX

7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Most of us find it very fast.....except for start up, much faster then IE.
    Some reasons as to why we are impressed and happy users..
    http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=32

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=63971&highlight=firefox settings

If you stay with IE i wish you good luck........

8. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Without active X etc, webcrawling becomes difficult at best. I want compatability. IE gives me that. With proper precautions, IE is very safe. Process Guard, BoClean, AdAware and McAfee AV. NEVER had a virus or trojan. I think Firefox is good for newbs out there that dont know any better but IE is still, by far, superior.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As a reminder....Michael is asking about extensions for Firefox\Mozilla....not about the impression\likeness others have about IE.

Let's Please keep to the discussion at hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.