Mozilla Firefox - Unknown entries in about:config

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by harsha_mic, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Hi,

I have some unknown entries updated in mozilla firefox (3.6.13). I am not sure how did i get this and whether malicious or not.

Could some one take a look at the attached screenshot of about:config and advice me to keep/reset the values.

I have the following addons installed
    1. NoScript
    2. ABP
    3. Lastpass

If you look at the screenshot, many of the entries are related sth called conduit toolbar. Which apparently i haven't installed. Confirmed by checking in Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks,
    Harsha.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you check under Tools/Addons/Extensions ? Check and remove from there if not.

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

4. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

5. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Thanks everybody for suggestions and links.

I have checked for Conduit traces at the below places but don't see anything installed
    - Windows Add/Remove Programs
    - Firefox Addons/Extenstions

And did a scan with Hitman Pro/Prevx/Malwarebytes and found no traces of infection. But found conduit folder in my firefox profile. So, created a new firefox profile and problem is solved (no more unknown entries).

Thanks again for the links and suggestions.

I guess it would be good habit to use a new profile once a while to make sure that everything is Ok.

Thanks,
    Harsha

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

In a situation like this, when you are asking because you don't know, then it's best to uninstall Firefox and delete out the Hidden Profile and reinstall it along with your addons.

The safest thing is just to uninstall and reinstall to be safe there is nothing Rogue attached to Firefox, like a browser hijack, etc...

It's not like you're reinstalling Windows and many times this is the best thing to do, wipe it out and start over.

Don't forget to backup your bookmarks.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

My advice is to:
    1) Exit from Firefox
    2) Export your Bookmarks to a file, then
    3) Save/move your profile to another folder/direcotry (Note: see Profiles for profile information).

Then starting from scratch, launch Firefox and install the 3 Firefox add-on extensions you list in your post. Then import your bookmarks from the saved Bookmarks file, and then Save your new profile.

Then do a new comparison to see what the differences are for the new about:config.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.