Mozilla Firefox not detected

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by isandman02, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. isandman02

isandman02 Registered Member

I have installed, then uninstalled, then reinstalled SpywareBlaster 5.2 several times now and it still shows "Mozilla Firefox not detected". When I click for information it says "No Mozilla Firefox profiles were detected on this account". The Internet Explorer and Restricted sites protection are enabled. I use Firefox all the time. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Have you tried reinstalling FF?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

What version of Windows are you running? And what version of Firefox?

4. isandman02

I am running Windows 7 Professional on a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop. Today I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, so I have the latest version of Firefox. After restarting the computer, SpywareBlaster still says "Mozilla Firefox not detected". Now what?

5. javacool

SpywareBlaster looks for your Mozilla Firefox profiles by checking:
    %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox
    for a profiles.ini file, and then reading/parsing that profiles.ini file.

On Windows 2000/XP, this path is usually:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

On Windows Vista/7, this path is usually:
    C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\

If you can locate your profiles.ini file in the appropriate location above, and SpywareBlaster is still not detecting Firefox, please let me know.

6. WolfWolf

WolfWolf Registered Member

Hi
    I have the same problem. First I installed SB 5.2 and it didn't detect Firefox even after start. Then I uninstalled SB 5.2 and installed 5.0 and the same happened: it didn't detect Firefox.
    So, maybe it's the Windows 10 fault?

7. isandman02

I tried searching for C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\ by using the "Search programs and files" box in the Start Menu, but that found nothing. Can you give me a little bit of step by step directions on how to find it? Then if I find it, what do I do with it?Thanks.

8. Zupe

Zupe Spyware Fighter

Hi Javacool, I'm having the same issue as well. Windows 10 Pro, running the beta version of Firefox, 41.0b5.

The profiles.ini folder is present in the C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox folder for me, but SpywareBlaster reports Firefox as "Not Detected".

Probably not much help, since this appears to be the default info., but this is the contents of my profiles.ini file:

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Profiles/wn5wd0tr.default
    I tried editing the relative path in that file to the full path and changing IsRelative=1 to 0 in case SB actually reads that information and there was some issue with the path values, but nothing changed.

Thanks.

*Edit*
    Ok, I believe I found a workaround, though I'm still not sure what the original issue was.
    1. I renamed profiles.ini to profiles1.ini with Firefox closed, then restarted Firefox, which created a new profiles.ini and a new profile.
    2. I then closed Firefox and ran SpywareBlaster. It detected Firefox, and let me enable its protection
    3. With Firefox still closed, I deleted the new profiles.ini and the newly created profile, and renamed profiles1.ini back to profiles.ini
    4. I ran SpywareBlaster again and it still seems to detect Firefox.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  9. LittleGrandma

LittleGrandma Registered Member

Thanks Zupe! Your workaround works for my SpywareBlaster's Firefox problem.

10. UnknownVT

UnknownVT Registered Member

Thank you.

This works after the profile.ini file is renamed (FireFox starts as if it was a fresh installation without any of my previous profile settings) -
    SpywareBlaster does then detect FireFox and enable protection.

However after I restored the original Profiles.ini (FireFox would start with all my profiles intact)
    BUT if I now run SpywareBlaster again -
    it now again says FireFox Not Detected.

I've tried this more than once - it seems as soon as I restore the Profiles.ini file -
    SpywareBlaster indicates FireFox not detected

This has been the same for FireFox 40.0.3 and 41.0 (updated just now)

Please note: I found this page -
    SpywareBlaster® didn't detect your Mozilla/Firefox profile
    https://www.brightfort.com/support/...ster-didnt-detect-your-mozillafirefox-profile
    I can't find a registry.dat file on my system (perhaps the post is old? - it was Posted by BrightFort Support on 18 February 2008 02:26 AM)

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e010nr laptop
    SpywareBlaster 5.2 (was working with 5.0, but now 5.0 also says FireFox not detected)
    Windows 8.1
    FireFox 40.0.3 and 41.0

FireFox is my default browser and I use it all the time -
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vincent

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  11. dejankozina1964

dejankozina1964 Registered Member

Hi all! I had the same problem and I just solved it... hope this will work for you too, it's a variation on Zupe's suggestion . I don't think it matters, but I'm on XP SP3 with latest Firefox (release track).

- Close Firefox
    - Go to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox
    - Rename profiles.ini to old_profiles.ini or whatever, as long as it's different
    - Start Firefox - this will create a new profiles.ini
    - Close Firefox again
    - With a text editor open both the new profiles.ini and the original old_profiles.ini
    - Copy the whole content of old_profiles.ini into the newly created profiles.ini, overwriting all of its content
    - Save and start SpywareBlaster - this time it should just work
    - You can safely delete old_profiles.ini
    - You can delete the new profile just created by Firefox, but be careful to choose the right one; if in doubt just leave it there, it won't break anything.

:)
    djn

12. UnknownVT

UnknownVT Registered Member

djn,

Thank you so much this one works!

Just the simple differrence of copying the contents of the original overwriting the contents of the newly created profiles.ini
    instead of renaming/restoring the original profiles.ini
    made it work.

Thank you!

13. javacool

If you still have the old, problematic profiles.ini file, could you please send it in an e-mail (along with the new working file, both .zipped as an attachment) to:
    bugreports AT brightfort DOT com

In your e-mail, please include a link to this thread and your username on these forums. Thanks!

14. mattE9

mattE9 Registered Member

This has happened on my 64bit Windows 8.1 and *only* happened after today's update. Clearly it is a SpywareBlaster problem, which I have been using successfully (as a paid user!) for about 13 years.
    I have no intention of carrying out any other steps than clean uninstalling/reinstalling SB (which hasn't worked) and will simply not use it until Brightfort solve the bug. Expecting users to rename and create files such as profile.ini - let alone copying profile data over - is unacceptable. The benefits of SB alone are simply not worth the hassle, or for many people the risk of doing that.

15. mattE9

mattE9 Registered Member

I see no one from BrightFort is interested in dealing with this stupid bug in SB not detecting the Firefox profile.

This has now happened on three systems - two PCs and 1 laptop. All running Windows 8.1 64 bit, all running the *LATEST* version of Firefox.

After constantly renaming profile.ini and it detecting Firefox, and then just a few days or a week later this happening AGAIN, I am no longer going to use SB.

16. javacool

Hi,

As mentioned above:

We are in the process of on an overhaul of the Firefox detection and handling code to resolve this for the percentage of users it affects and permit more flexibility for custom user configurations. Please do get in contact via e-mail if you haven't already and we'll have more information as soon as it's available. :)

17. tbraybrook

tbraybrook Registered Member

I had this same problem with SpywareBlaster 5.2 all of a sudden not detecting Firefox. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but that didn't work. I checked Spybot and there was no protection offered either under Immunization so I uninstalled that. Finally it hit me what changes I had done. Advanced System Care Pro version 9 had messed things up on my computer. I had to do a system restore. After doing that which removed that version of Advanced System Care Pro, I was good to do and SpywareBlaster and Spybot were able to protect me again.

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hmm, I don't know if my issue is related. So, I'll ask...
    Just noticed with FF42x64 on W8.1x64 that there are no cookies with Exceptions.
    SB shows Protection Enabled with database 12/03
    Maybe, 12/03 update is causal....
    @javacool if my issue known to you and under your review...?
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

20. wildman

wildman Registered Member

I have SpywareBlaster version 5.2 and Firefox 42.0 and no problems. Make sure you have clicked on enable all protection. Also remember there is no automatic updates (Free version).

Always,
    Wildman

21. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

If you mean in the Exceptions list, yes.
    FF 42 Blocked Cookies.PNG

23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

No, I mean with Firefox Profile. I know SB shows with the Exceptions.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

You don't understand Firefox Profile or you don't understand no Exceptions - Cookies listed with Firefox. SpywareBlaster.PNG
    What Firefox Profiles folder/file hold Exceptions - Cookies.
    e.g., cookies.sqlite, ?
    Edit: Mozilla tells me permissions.sqlite holds Exceptions.
    I've already re-created permissions.sqlite with no joy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.