Mozilla Firefox 6.0 - Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by brainrb1, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

the speed difference between the browsers [ mozilla/chrome] are in ms i.e hardly noticable
    and ff6 is zippier than ff5 ... and im using ff7 right now which is even zippier and uses lower memory

2. guest

guest Guest

Enough of blah blah blah, we want benchmarks.

And I want the changelog of FX v6 final. If there is none, it still didn't reach final stage. :D

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

We do?

4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

YES WE ARE :D

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you can't tell the difference between Firefox and chrome how can you tell the difference between v5 and v6?

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Would real-world benchmark be an oxymoron?

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I wonder when this will be pushed out in the updates.

8. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

I had great hopes for FireFox 4 and it's future, but this rapid version approach has made me leaving it for Opera full time.
    This belongs to the world of Chrome and I'm fine with Chrome having it because it worked without problems when I used Chrome.
    Rapid versioning does in it self not bother me much, but it has to work without compability problems etc all the time :doubt:

9. EboO

EboO Registered Member

When will the pdf reader be available please ?

10. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I use this to make all addons compatible with v8:
    Nightly Tester Tools
    https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/nightly-tester-tools/

11. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Tbh i never understood how Add-on Compatibility Reporter works. Every time i installed it, it never made my addons compatible.

13. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Just install it and restart firefox. When firefox is restarted, restart it one more time. Then check your addons page and see all the extensions are enabled.

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Ah thank you, i think i missed the second restart with all my tries.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I agree a lot with this. Opera may have its little bugs, but I am beginning to be a little concerned about the 'rapid versioning' of Firefox. I still use Fx for certain things & one of the things I really liked about it was that it was relatively stable, dependable & didn't have a whirlwind approach to upgrading. There's nothing wrong with regularly updating a browser, but I hope this isn't just some Mozilla strategy for competing with Chrome. It's interesting to point out that I am in Opera as I write this.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And "Thank You" from me too :) I missed the double restart bit and so have been disabling compatibility checking in about:config with this line:
    Code:
    extensions.checkCompatibility.[B]7[/B].0a;false
    for version 7 (Aurora). When 8 comes around, I was planning to put in a line for 8 and to delete the 7 one. But this time, I'll try the ACR and the procedure mentioned by Raza.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Looks like some of us will just have to get used to the pre-announcements mentioning ftp sites for download and the venting over versioning every six weeks. Given time, my slow (and diminishing) intellect may actually grasp their utility ;)

18. Hungry Man

Rapid versioning works for Chrome because they've had it since day 1. Developers knew about it and by the time Dev's had moved to Chrome they knew the drill.

Firefox hasn't needed its add-ons to update in a long time because it only released a new version once every few months and they were usually just a few performance/ security fixes.

It's been years and a lot of the FF devs have left to develop elsewhere or just aren't updating anymore. They lost tons of legacy extensions with the last few updates and they will continue to do so.

Eventually the devs will get used to this rapid release schedule and you won't see so many broken extensions every version change.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Let 'em test it like Chrome was just tested, I say ;) That's the only kind of "benchmark" that will get my attention for more than 3 seconds.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

In a way, it's good. Now maybe with the rapid fire releases, any extension dev that has the patience to stick around, will likely be one that handles issues promptly and actually takes care of the add-on. So many just tossed extensions at people said "here ya go", and you wouldn't see hide nor hair of the dev again for months, problems or not.

21. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I'm waiting for at least FF 7 which has all of the new memory bug fixes and is worth the wait. Also, on Tuesday, FF 3.6.20 will see the light of day with security fixes for those on older releases.

-- Tom

22. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

By zippier i dont mean rendering of website..i mean the browser itself

23. Hungry Man

I want to see what Firefox 9 is like. Firefox 8 and Chrome 14 are apparently equal in speed but we'll see if this trend continues.

I might even move back to Firefox eventually.

24. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

"Introducing Scratchpad" : https://blog.mozilla.com/devtools/2011/08/15/introducing-scratchpad/

"The latest Firefox release includes a new tool for web developers: Scratchpad. The idea behind Scratchpad is simple: the browser is a fantastic place to experiment with JavaScript. Most JavaScript developers already know this and they use tools like the Web Console or Firebug’s command line to take advantage of the one environment that knows everything about their web page."

Way beyond me, but thought some might be interested.

25. Hungry Man

A sorta cool JS IDE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.