Mozilla Firefox 5.0 Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by brainrb1, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't know enough about his ability either, but in the years I've used both, the plugin container seems to be the only thing that really required any changes to Sandboxie. So, it should be perfectly fine. He can handle Chrome, I'm sure he can handle Firefox.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

My not-so-subtle implication was that if Fx6 can run under Sandboxie, so can Fx4 and Fx5.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Anyone know when Avast! WebRep will be compatible with Firefox 5?

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the current beta is compatible, so it will be soon that means.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's already compatible after a force install. Works perfectly fine.

6. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Went over to Opera, stupid major version every month just cause problems :mad:

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

When I tried to install Firefox 5 it said it was not compatible. I take it from what you say that if I install it anyway there will be no issues with it.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Basically, yes. The current version has no compatibility issues other than an outdated version support file.

9. guest

guest Guest

I just went into options and unchecked auto update
    no more problems with my add ons

maybe i will update later but i will not put up
    with having to do this every few months

i will just stay where i am and keep a eye on things
    then again i might revert back to version 3.xx

10. blasev

blasev Registered Member

After a week or so, I must say that I don't feel any difference from ver 4.
    All 8 add on work just fine .

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

What's the deal with all these Firefox updates? I mean just last month I see the update for version 4.0.1, and now as I check for updates I see them trying to push 5 on me. Was version 4 so hopelessly buggy that they just decided to scrap it and make a new one, or does their development team have OCD?

I just downloaded an update to 3.6.18, and as long as they continue to update v.3, I'm sticking with it. Until I see that they're no longer patching it, and that there's a known vulnerability as a result, I'm not fixing what isn't broken.

12. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Well said. You learn that fast in the Army - walk in the foot steps of the guy in front.

I use Firefox 3.6.18 and everything works fine. It all goes like clockwork and I get no problems whatsoever.

If I update to 4 or 5 or whatever next, what happens to the compatibility of all the hundreds of independent programs, add-ons and extensions we use when these new browser versions are installed ? AVG 2011, Zone Alarm 9.2.106.000, various AM`s, Sandboxie, NoScript, ABP ad infinitum.

I am particularly concerned about Sandboxie 3.56 - 32 bit. It is used all the time to open my browser.

I am not a "must have" person, only a guy who likes everything to hum like a happy bee. I would rather be outdated and happy than updated and cursing.

Confucius say :- If wheel go round OK, don`t fix it.

Many thanks
    John

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Once again, I have to say, complain about Mozilla, then complain about Google too, but nobody does that. For the big add-on players, all is well in FF 5, for the smaller ones, not so much, but I hardly place the blame only on Mozilla. One could argue against even having plugins for all these different programs like AVG, Prevx and so on. I don't see them as all that necessary, and they have a habit of slow support even if browser vendors aren't speeding up releases.

Fine, if it isn't broke, don't update, but when things do start breaking or you get exploited, don't blame anyone else but yourselves.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Version 4.01 hasn't been buggy at my end, and v5 isn't a replacement just an upgrade. Progress I guess. :)

15. tgell

tgell Registered Member

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

My last post in this forum (until today) was actually a complaint about Google, ironically. I pointed out that I remove my URL bar entirely in Firefox and just use the search bar because I don't like how FF forces Google on you. This way my only choice is to use Ixquick, which is how I want it.

So they've already kicked v.4 to the curb after only 4.0.1. That doesn't exude much confidence in me about said "progress". I'll take my chances with 3, and I promise not to blame anybody if something goes wrong. After seeing some of the accounts in this thread, I don't want to blame myself when I do upgrade and something breaks. That seems more likely.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Actually the worst compatibility problem that can happen is built-in browser exclusions (access to bookmarks, passwords, profiles, etc) not working properly. Protection won't be affected.

Sandboxie never was program-dependent.

18. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Your hive must often be quite astir then, judging from the number of threads you start asking for help with issues. :cautious:

19. tgell

tgell Registered Member

You can disable the Google search on the URL bar.

You can also change the service.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location bar search

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Just curious ... what does "exude much confidence in me" mean?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217923/Mozilla_mulls_Firefox_3.6_retirement_too

I hope Mozilla keeps on innovating and doesn't get held back by corporate whiners (who remind me of Mordac in the Dilbert strip).

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I also hope and expect Mozilla to keep up the good work, that includes
    updating when its needed. My FF5 is doing as well as any of the other
    versions that I have used. As you know, there were 1000 bugs fixed on
    this version, good reason for all users to update and for Mozilla to have
    released it.

Bo

22. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I personally do not like the way they are numbering their releases. Why call it 5 when 4.1 would do. They are still releasing 3.6 the old way. Also, when they did this release, I could not download a small patch like 3.6, just the full download. Was anybody here able to go from 4 to 5 with just a patch? And, if Firefox was designed with add-ons in mind, I believe Mozilla will be turning off a lot of people if a number of their add-ons break after an each release.

23. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Good points tg.

I have only just updated my FF from 3.6.17 to 3.6.18 at FF`s update prompt and there I am sticking until FF decide what they are doing and countless thousands of users have done their debugging for them and chewed lumps off their keyboards.

That will take 6-9 months, so while all this frantic mayhem is going on, my system and all my programs will be ticking happily away like a well oiled clock in total harmony.

Confucius say :- Man who not know way, not get home.

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Updating from version4 to version5 can not be any easier, just use the updater
    from within and you are done. Personally, I don't care what Mozilla calls this
    version, all that matters to me is that it works and for me, its working fine.

Bo

25. ABee

ABee Registered Member

They've decided. Kinda what this thread is all about.

Confucius say: Man who keep feet on ground have trouble putting on pants; man who sit on tack quickly get point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.