Mozilla Firefox 3.6.21

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can do so by setting the right option.
    Tools>options>Advanced>Updates>

I am using 6.0.1, enjoying it as I did any of the previous versions.

Bo

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

bo elam, if you set those options to not automatically install updates, does that prevent an automatic install if you check for updates from Help>Check for Updates? That's the one I've heard people griping about.

3. guest

guest Guest

Nope.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I'm very impressed with the Portable Apps Fx 6.1. :thumb:

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

guest is right. If you check for updates, the update will install
    even if you have the settings to not automatically install updates. I
    don't see a conflict there between the setting and the updater but
    that's only the way I see it.

Anyway, if I check for updates and the update installs, on my case it
    does not matter as I am always sandboxed. All I have to do is delete
    the sandbox.

Bo

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

No, I don't. It was a facetious comment. I realize that is hard to pick up on when typed, not spoken.

I would gladly upgrade to 7 if everything I needed/wanted would work on it, but that's not the case. Software developers probably won't really have 64-bit OS's ironed out until they're working on 128 bit ones. Staying a generation behind helps you avoid these compatibility problems. It's also much cheaper, and I'm hardly a Rockefeller. And even on the 32 bit versions of Vista & 7, some things I consider vital (namely gaming) won't make the transition. So I'd end up having to keep this box around anyway for that, and have 2 PC's taking up space instead of 1. And I've yet to be compromised as the result of still using XP Pro, and consider the chances remote. So there just isn't much reason at all for me to upgrade yet.

7. luciddream

Sounds great in theory, but in actual practice compatibility mode does not in fact make everything compatible. The proof is in the pudding, and I've tried many games & emulators in Vista & 7 and they just won't work. This problem is common knowledge in the retro gaming community, of which I'm a part of. So many have reformatted and put XP back on after buying new PC's because of this.

Just like on XP, I can try to play some old games in compatibility mode for Windows 95, but they still won't work. They need to be played on an actual Win95 or 98 box. Although the compatibility mode in XP does seem to work a lot better than Vista & 7, and most old games will indeed work. Usually if you copy the files to the root of a partition then install from there you can get em to work in XP. Not all though.

And I don't understand how anyone can say that Vista & 7 are faster than XP. If you cram 8 gigs of RAM in there... sure. The problem is you need that much to make it responsive because it's so bloated. XP on it's maxed out 3.25 GB will run circles around 7 with the same amount. Heck XP flies with 1 GB, while 7 will fight to even boot up.

The only advantage is the integrated security, which even then compared with XP Pro is less significant of a gap than say if you ran Home. Get a 3'rd party FW/HIPS and another piece of software or 3 and you can account for most of those slights, without needing 6 gigs of RAM. And since I've yet to be compromised with this OS, to me those features are hardly worth losing half of my games, a few apps, and plunking down the $ to upgrade.

XP Pro till EOL do us part... :D :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@luciddream: Once again, you forgot something. XP Mode.

10. luciddream

I haven't forgotten anything, my comments were regarding XP Mode as well. Once again in theory it all sounds great, but in actual practice it doesn't always work, most especially with gaming.

Have you actually tried yourself to get old emulators and games to work on Vista/7? I have, and if the answers were as simple as you suggest it wouldn't be such a well documented dilemma in the first place.

When I can see that everything I want on my computer works on Win7 64-bit, I'll gladly upgrade. I would love to take advantage of some of the security features, but won't do it at the cost of sacrificing usability. Gaming is half of my reason for owning a computer.

11. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I'm certainly finding Mr "Hey There" has become quite an irritation when visiting Mozilla sites, I'd like to punch his nose by now! :D

Attached Files:

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Give examples of a game failing in a XP virtual machine outside of performance reasons.

No, and not interested. Consoles are my gaming machines. Where's the documentation?

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good, they should be pushing users to get rid of it.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'll take him over the "Aw snap!" face Chrome shoves at me far too often, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.