Mozilla Firefox 3.6.21

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wish all browsers would do that. Heck, even IE 9 changed it up. But, such is the way with the "less is more" UI attitude that has taken over. One could argue though that all of the missing things can be brought back. For instance, the menu bar in FF. Yes, it adds one extra line at the top (oh egads, the horror!), but everything is right there on that line. Tools, bookmarks, you name it. Forgive me if I'm incorrect, since I don't have Chrome currently on this system, but I believe it may be the one browser where this is not true. Iirc, Chrome has very little in the way of changing what they deem the "optimal" UI.

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Agreed Hungryman, & dw. Of course they should always be looking to make improvements, but as you said, not too many changes to UI in too short a window. Especially not whole-sale changes.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

While we have the right (freedom of speech) to tell them what to do, they have the right to do what they want to do. I don't understand the constant you-know-what. It's different if we're paying up-front for a product.

4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

all addons works on version 6 afaik... also in browser filed greater build provide better up to date secuirty and speed :cool:

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Point well taken. However, I'd counter that going too far beyond your customers' comfort level too often will result in not enough people to tell you what they want. They know far better than me about the "insides", but really, is it necessary to functionality to mess too much with the outsides, that we as users have to deal with daily?

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Good to know, but I also don't feel like going through the settings and re-tweaking the new version to suit my needs just yet. Especially since at this rate there will probably be 2-3 new releases by the time support for 3 ends. This way when support for 3 ends I only have to do it once, for whatever the new version is at that time, and not 2 more times between now & then. I want to use my browser to browse in the meantime, not learn "what's new in version x"

Loving 3 just the way it is :D :thumb:

I'm sorry if it irritates people.

7. guest

guest Guest

The reason I don't use Firefox 4-5-6
    is because there is always something not working quite right about it
    and it also usually breaks an add on or two

A question was ask earlier in this thread about modifying Windows
    I use XP at this time, it easy to remove some parts of XP like the firewall,
    Security Center, auto updates, etc
    but to do some major changes you will need to use Resource Hacker
    and a few other tools
    you may also need to disable the system file protection according
    to how much you are going to modify

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Eh, honestly who cares what others think? I mean really, do you really give a crap what people on a forum think? My reasoning for complaints about, say XP users, is purely from a security standpoint. It would help in the malware fight (albeit very temporarily), if so many users moved away from the most attacked version of Windows there is. I'm not so stupid that I believe merely moving to Windows 7 makes everything right though.

Outside of security, more power to XP users. It's not like anything else is wrong with it. Hell, it was rock solid for me for many years. But, I got a new system, my opinion is that Win 7 is designed better, and it's nice not being a bullseye (for a while). If FF 3 users are alright with security concerns, and it works better than the new versions (which I won't disagree with, not counting memory issues, v3 was nice), then go for it.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

This reminds me of a movie line I heard recently when a guy being pressed by the media on his policy on this or that said:

"You must have me confused with someone who gives a d..m about others opinions"

Have a good long weekend.

PS Windows 7 does work better and is designed better. As far as being less of a target than XP well that one is debatable these days. I think what is happening is users via sloppy email and password management are being phished etc no matter what system they are on. That is the real thread IMHO.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Untrue, do I have to mention compatibility mode and XP mode again? The only difference is speed.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

plus windows 7 has been proven to run faster than xp on the same hardware.

i dont understand why mozilla is keeping support for version 3.6 but already ditched support for V4 and V5

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

dw426, couldn't agree more. In fact, and a lot of people may not realize this, in FF 3.6 you can put toolbar buttons, url bar, and search bar all on the menu bar and hide the navigation bar, leaving only the title bar and menu bar. That's the way I have mine arranged and I've got instant access to everything I need with only the menu bar. :)

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I believe Firefox 6 can do the same.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't know. Things have been visually unchanged since Fx 4.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Numbers and psychology? Mozilla may feel that a significant number are still on v3 and are reluctant to move on. Those on v4 or v5 may be seen as being amenable to change and hence support for v4 and v5 was terminated. This conserves resources.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Doesn't the look and feel of the v4 and above UI only show up as such in Vista and 7? Those using XP get an older more standard UI? Or am I totally wrong here? Anyway, if so, Mozilla may feel that it's wise for them to support v3.x just for XP users mostly.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, Mozilla tries to make Fx go native wherever possible and there are certainly effects that are present in Win 7 and Linux that are absent in XP. Don't know anything about Vista.

But "major" (according to some very sensitive folks) changes like moving the home button from the left to the right side or placing tabs on top are common to all systems (Macs excepted since I don't know about them.)

Most, if not all, the visual changes can be "reverted" and there are people who ask and receive appropriate advice on how to do so in support forums.

Of course, there's nothing to be done for folks who don't want to change because "... I also don't feel like going through the settings and re-tweaking the new version to suit my needs just yet" ;)

18. allizomeniz

FF 4 and above looks very good on XP in my opinion. It does look totally than Vista. For some reason, starting with FF 4, the menu bar in Vista looks like total crap. You can't even see the menu headings. The usual advice at Mozillazine is to find a Persona that fixes it and install it. That's one reason (among many) I'm sticking with 3.6.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Pardon what may be a dumb question, but how exactly does a Persona fix menu issues? All Personas I see (and use) simply spruce things up with a nice background, they have no affect at all on menus and such. By the way, I know Vista is a little bit different, but in Win 7, I can see the menu bar just fine, from FF4 to v8.

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Changing the background from translucent Aero is exactly how it fixes the issue.

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, just to drive this point in::cool:

1) All my xp applications work under vista and Windows 7
    2) If 1 were not true M$ would be bankrupt.

Speed yes, it is different BUT I have found that the CPU and RAM have always had a bigger impact on speed than what version of MS o/s I have.

IMHO:D

22. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

How to stop FireFox from automatically updating itself?

23. allizomeniz

In Options there are settings to stop automatic updates. But starting in 4 there's something new. The link in Help>Check for updates now automatically installs the newer version if one's available. I'm not sure if it lets you know it's installing or not, I've never had the pleasure of finding out, but I don't think there's an "abort" button and a lot of people have been complaining. There's no way to work around it that I know of, unless someone has developed an add-on. It seems the least they could do is change "check" for updates to "install" updates. o_O

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

:D Something Fx users seem to be getting good at.

25. guest

guest Guest

Starting with Firefox 6.0.1 (Portable edition), I can't really complain about anything.

Even the memory usage and the startup time are OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.