Mozilla Firebird

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowbound, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

OooKeeDooKee!

d/l

http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/#chromedit

then close and reopen browser>tools>edit user files>userchrome.css and paste the following( go to last entry in file as it is all commented out anyway . . . be sure to have a blank line per entry . . in this case 1 blank line between what is there and what u r about to paste):

tab{
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    }
    tab[selected="true"] {
    background-color: rgb(102,153,255) !important;
    color: black !important;
    }

tab:not([selected="true"]) {
    background-color: rgb(255,153,255) !important;
    color: gray !important;
    }

This will give u my selected colors (envy blue and puke pink!!!LOL)U can go from there.

While I'm at it the following entries are nice too:

.toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker {display: none}

This one deletes those never used down arrows up by the bak and forward buttons.

And:

toolbar {border-style: none !important}

This one gives a flat toolbar appearance ( u can see both in my earlier scrnshot of the browser)

Remember to hit the save button in the file once ur done pasting

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Attached Files:

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

OMG - that'll have to wait until tomorrow - but thanks! Pete

3. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

Yup . . . OMG!

thats why FB is so fast . . . a stripped down h'rod! But the nice thing is u can customize it! After u finish chrome-edit 101 i got sum user.jss edits fer u . . . speed tweaks and fullscreen tweaks, not to mention turning off some error messages.

And u gotta have spellychecker . . see how gud it duz fer me!!!! :p

4. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Anything new or of interest in the FireBird inviroment?

5. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

o_O

Let's see . . .

Well most of the new stuff has been covered here! Apparently the browser is approaching its 1.0 release as there has been sum furor amongst the aficionado community!!! :eek:

For info, the themes (skins) and extensions (basically plug-ins to add functionality) are 'made' by individuals (or groups thereof). On or about 11-21-03 with the release of the nightly builds ( after a 4 or so day hiatus ) the developers incorporated changes that in effect 'broke' most of the themes and many of the extensions (one popular extension in particular TBE or 'tabbedbrowserextensions'. This was after basically just one warning post on their forums . . . very rare for them the devs) to enter into the banter!!!

So OK, wots da big deal??!!

To many it signifies final tweaking of the browser as it heads to ver 1.0 fruition! To sum it signifies a deliberate slap in the face . . . ie an effort to break' those extensions they don't like ( one developer called one extension's workings as 'doing terrible things"!!!). And thus the rub!!! This forces some writers to change their themes/extension. Some can and apparently some can't ,or cant without mucho difficulty!!

Many of us dont like being told wot to do! (by applications . . not by humans . . . thats for Dr. Phil!!! lol) and accusations of 'big brother' and 'son's of Bill' are circulating!!

The latest nightlies though are very stable now . . and crisp!!! Not bad for a diverse worldwide basically volunteer effort. I for 1 am impressed. If u wanna see democracy in action (sumtimes harsh but always civil as befitting true nerds and geeks), visit the forums!

http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php

:)

6. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Yeah basicly sameold stuff until 1.0 ;)

7. JayK

JayK Poster

Not really, I wonder a nice search extension conquery, basically mycroft on steriods.

8. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

there is a spell checker for fire bird ?? scince when i been looking for one for ages but have been unsecsessfull

what the spellchecker extention called and where is it located ?

because so far iv only found the spellchecker for mozilla and thunderbird

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Bethrezen :)

Here is a link for firebird spellchecker

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=34799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

hope it works for u :)

Snowbound

10. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hello All:

Has anyone here used Mozilla Firebird Black Diamond, the version that comes with many of the main plugins? I've been having troubles with Netscape and am thinking of trying it out, but before installing it I'd like to find out if it has any known problems or if it's one of those programs that are difficult to uninstall.

Cheers

11. snowbound

Hi tepi :)

I myself have firebird 0.7 but i have seen posts in these forums saying black diamond version is very stable.

U don't install mozilla, it just comes in a zip file.

Just download, unzip and that is it.

U have to create desktop shortcut yourself.

If u decide u don't want it just delete zip file.

If u don't have it, here is download page

http://blackdiamond.mozdev.org/installation.html

Good luck

12. snowbound

Oh tepi i forgot

There is an unofficial installer for mozilla firebird but i prefer the zip file.

If u want to use it, it is on main download page for mozilla firebird 0.7

Snowbound

13. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Snowbound:

I see. Thanks. Yes, that's the version I've downloaded and I've heard it's supposed to be stable. But what I'm wondering is if anyone at Wilders has actually used Black Diamond.

Regards

14. JayK

JayK Poster

Yes, it's no more or less stable than normal FB milestone stuff. It just saves you the borther from hunting for extensions, themes etc.

I've tried it.

15. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi JayK:

Did you like it? It sounds as if you got rid of it.

Cheers

16. JayK

JayK Poster

No it's still there . I just prefer the mozilla suite normally. But that's just me.

And no , don't ask me why, it's a personal preferance. They are almost exactly the same.

I interpreted your question as asking whether if Firebird blackdiamondd distrubtion is a lot diff from the normal FB versions, the answer is no.

17. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Quack/f47fa2ad.png

Yup . . it is just a little confusing . . . but when u consider the # of ppl werkin on it . . .

anyway . .

Black diamond is like buying a house with the furniture in it . . ready to go.

The same browser stripped down is FB. Stay away from the installer for now. I'll make an announcement when it has its bugs werked out. As the previous firebird users have posted, just unzip (i use my desktop)! And go>>>!

See this and other threads for tweaks, tips etc...

And yes u can have as many browsers as u want and u can have em all open at the same time. U will find with tabbed browsing, u wont need ie6 much.

Check out the microfirebird theme. Its small and has a light blue background (every1 luvs blue right??!!)

As for extensions, there are about 130 or so to choose from. IMHO , take a look at:

the new Spellchecker
    Trivial
    Autohide
    Chrome Edit
    Mousegestures . . . very cool tool here dudes!!!

All of these links are found in the FB icon below, urls posted in this thread and in da FB forums . . .

http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php

and . . .

http://members.cox.net/libbo1/bird.gif

post bak if u need to . . . any of the Firebird convertees' will be glad to help u and others :cool:

18. tepi

tepi Registered Member

I've just unzipped Black Diamond to my Program Files and am composing this message in it right now. My first impressions are that it seems pretty good. Looks like a handy alternative to Netscape :) Thanks to all for your advice.

Cheers

19. snowbound

Hi tepi :)

I think you'll really like firebird. Since i got it i rarely use IE anymore.

I'm looking forward to the first non beta build.

I'm also thinking about trying OPERA browser.
    Heard lots of good things about it too.

Snowbound

20. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Snowbound - Yes, I begin to think so too. Netscape 7.1 has been giving me lots of problems. IE I use mainly for MS updates. So Firebird becomes a nice find. Opera I did use for a while years ago and found it very fast, but in those days Netscape had more useful features so I stuck to it. I hear though that Netscape is pretty well on the way out today.

Cheers

21. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

The following might explain why Netscape gave you some problems:

Search Results

Previous Next
    Back to record list
    Record 22 of 46 matches

Software Name: Netscape
    Version: 6 through 7
    Software Website: http://www.netscape.com
    Offending Party: Internal
    Remarks: Anytime a Navigator user performs a search by typing terms into the browser's URL bar and pressing the adjacent Search button, or by using the Search tab on the browser's My Sidebar feature, Netscape is capturing Navigator 6 users' search terms along with their IP address, the date Navigator was installed, and a unique identification number. The user data is sent to a server at info.netscape.com using a uniform resource locator (URL) forwarding system. The privacy policy at Netscape's Web site does not mention that Navigator Search-button users' inquiries at third-party search sites are logged by Netscape.

By default, Navigator's Search function uses Netscape's own search service, but browser users can configure Navigator instead to use search services from Google, Lycos, or Overture. Another method for users to avoid having Netscape log their searches is by directly accessing a third-party search engine by typing its address into the browser rather than using the Search button or Sidebar.
    Entry Date: 23-May-2002
    EULA:

22. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Peaches4U - Well now, that's VERY interesting.... Netscape? Spyware! o_O
    Even though I never use the search feature you mention but instead click on a bookmark that takes me to Google.... Many thanks for tipping me off. That's one of the most stunning pieces of information I've come across in a long time. Phew! Netscape... Seems like you can't trust anyone these days. May I ask where you discovered that information?

Regards

23. tepi

tepi Registered Member

I see. Thank you. Well, I've just opened it and am trying it out and it seems pretty good, especially after having just heard from Peaches4U that Netscape is "confirmed spywear." You live and learn.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.