Mozilla confirms critical Firefox bug

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Allow me to say that you have posted in this thread without reading the thread. Please read first the posts and the references others posted here. Maybe there you'll find some "numbers" and examples.

I'm a man of science too and the first thing I have learned is that if I have to use numbers I must be certain 100% that are accurate. So do you expect accurate numbers on this story from me really? I think it's a not serious request. You admit it yourself in your last 3 lines. So why this post/"attack"?

As a man of science I have also learned to discuss with other humans even if they have only to say their opinion. A scientific hypothesis is the fruit of thinking and listening opinions and it's a huge scientific tool for research and progress. Then you have to find the numbers to support your hypothesis. So opinions come first...then the numbers. In this case nobody can produce accurate numbers so we'll have to stick to experiences and data collected with not that scientific methods.

Nobody will ever produce accurate numbers about the number of vulnerabilities in the various browsers, since there are vulnerabilities that get patched without a public notice and also there is not somebody that is accepted by everyone, that has as task the scientific collection and report of these numbers. In reality nobody can collect if all the developers of the browsers do not provide detailed reports and for sure they'll never do this. This is why I only agree with your last three lines.

So it's natural for me to post here my opinion based on personal experience and reported numbers collected with not that scientific methods. With the data available I can arrive at approximate conclusion that firefox is not safer. Also the way they have handled the latest vulnerability does not convince me about their total dedication to provide the safest browser.

I'm saying that firefox is not safer and not that firefox is safe/or not safe. As a man of science I hope you understand the difference. I have not also said that other browsers are safer. I have only mentioned Chrome because it was the first to follow a different approach about more secure browsing sessions.

I have only asked responsibilities about the miseducation of the users and this is what interests me. And this was my point. You have selectively focused on something else..something else that I don't really care about: if firefox is less safer than IE. I only want to convince users that they have to pay the same attention if they use firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome etc. and to apply a layered security strategy.

Posts that have as only scope the demolition of others posts and discredit the author are not productive, although I must admit is a real fun but don't have merit.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Ahh if the user is interested in securing his www facing applications such as browsers (any browser) he needs to manage what these executables are allowed to do on HIS computer.

For example if you allow one browser to do hooking, DDE, Process Termination and memory injection while you prevent the other browser to do these types of things well you guys can see where I'm heading here.

Security is 99.9% users misbehaving while surfing the www. It is your PC manage it.

I am not a fan of conspiracy theories.

Bugs are found on all applications every day they get fixed.

Enjoy the day!

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

noios, calling the second biggest browser in the world a fraud is a bit heavy, so I would expect a decent explanation, that's all.

And hacking contests are just that. Nothing more, nothing less. A far cry from doomsday or anything of the sort.

And I did not see any hacking done on Linux, so ... claims by participants that Linux and Mac users enjoy security through obscurity when no attempt was made against Linux is a bit, well kind of, he had to say something grand, so he did say it ...

Mrk

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

It's obvious that the word "fraud" was intended for the tactics and the miseducation thing and not the product called firefox.

I strongly support my opinion that firefox has mis educated the users ( at some % intentionally, at some per cent, in the middle of an ecstatic status, seeing its share grow, did not really pressed the break to the promotion of a wrong concept, at some % becuase firefox fans could not be stopped to pass around the wrong message ). I repeat...there is no worse thing than mis educating the masses for your own benefit. You undermine the present and the future.

I consider I have replied decently and decently supported my opinions. I'm a bit disappointed seeing you focusing again the whole thing to something that is different from my main point. In your latest post the fact that is heavy to call firefox a fraud. I have no intention to offend you, firefox or anybody else. I consider my message, that the users should not feel safer with an application because others said so and always be careful, really strong and I stand here to support it.

In any case, and because you made me get scared to death and now I'm waiting the mozilla lawyers to ring my bell, I take back the word fraud and I apologize. :D

I've really enjoyed the discussion and sincerely I respect you, so my kind regards and wishes for a good day.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Firefox is more secure than IE by design, but that's irrelevant. And definitely, what other people say should be taken with some reservation. A lot, really.

However, you cannot deny the fact there was a vacuum created by IE flaws, which included and still include security. Personally though, I think the biggest advantage of Firefox are usability and the competition it introduced, which lead to better products for us, end customers. IE is first and foremost slow like hell and has minimal support for standards. That's the biggest issue, for me.

Security card played. Still, how true it is, I do not know, I only know that if you visit 2-3 hijacking and malware cleaning forums, it comes down to three basic things: ie users, adobe flash, acrobat reader. I don't see any Firefox users there. Maybe Firefox is more secure, maybe users are smarter, it does not matter. End result, you make a switch, you make a change, you make a change.

BTW, the hacking contest and its message is miseducation. It's fear everywhere, browsers are insecure - the total opposite of what browser vendors sell - and no solution. I find this far less productive.

Mrk

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.