Mozilla browser....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Chuck57, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. Now that I've downloaded it, I'm wondering if anybody has any security or other related info on the Mozilla 1.1 browser.

I've searched high and low and all I can find is an issue with the previous version 1 that was fixed. It's faster tha MSIE and seems, so far, pretty damned stable. Thanks in advance.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Don´t know if you already found this page: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html
    And you might find this an interesting article: http://www.mozillaquest.com/Mozilla_News_02/Mozilla_1-0-0_preview-bugs_Story01.html

Regards,

Pieter

3. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hello Chuck;

;)Nice to hear you're giving Mozilla a try.

Not many users to be found around here, but these two threads can give you an overview of what's already been written here about Mozilla.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3274

and

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2990

As regards security, I'd add something which has also been said about Opera, i.e. to make sure that the most recent version of Java Runtime Environment be installed. I think it's JRE 1.4.1 by now. Anyway, Java not compulsory except for certain specific sites.

Still using Mozilla as soon as I feel like it, in fact switching back and forth from Opera to Mozilla - but let's say 85% Opera and 15% Mozilla ;)... I sure would be on Mozilla had it not been for Opera.

Very nice browser but still trying to get due recognition by a large audience. On its way though - among other things recently implemented on a new Linux Desktop Interface.

Posts about your own future Mozilla experiences are welcome...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

4. Chuck57

Re:Mozilla browser.... and Opera

Well, I use the Opera 6.05, too. Right now, it's a toss up which I prefer. Since I just downloaded Mozilla, I'm currently using it almost exclusively.

Both appear equally as fast, and Opera has security features I like better, such as the ability to deny referrers. I'm not sure if Mozilla does or not, or maybe they're under a different name. So far I've had no stability problems with either browser, but that's something to be discovered in the long term.

I can say this. MSIE6 hasn't been activated since I found Opera, and it's fairly certain it's apt not to be used again. I have only one question. Why do I need three browsers?

5. crockett

Hi Chuck;

No, Mozilla does not block ref's.

Webbugs are not blocked by any one of those three browsers, so I guess WebWasher or Proxomitron is needed in any case.

I also believe the next version of Opera (Opera 7, soon to be launched) will be the ultimate browser. I think by then we'll be able to let go of Mozilla and IE for ever.

BTW, did you notice that simply pressing F12 while using Opera displays the extremely useful 'Quick Preferences' menu ? :D

6. Chuck57

Hey, Crockett....I read the review on Opera 7 posted in a thread below. Sounds very interesting and I'll be looking for it. I like Opera except for the ads (I'm cheap) and I've gotten to where I don't even see them now, nor do I see pop up windows which is nice.

7. crockett

:)Hello Chuck;

A few guys had an interesting interchange about Opera 6.05 on this BBoard...

If interested, please refer to

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2919

and

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2992

8. Chuck57

Thanks for those threads

I tried running the security test at Sygate and it wouldn't let me in either. The other, at pcflank, showed everything secure as far as firewall. The browser "needs attention." I don't accept referrers and cookies are dumped when I close, so no problem there.

I disabled java and things seem faster now. So far, no problems.

A last question and I won't pester anyone any more. Is there a reason, in quick preferences, for the varied identities of Opera? I notice it can be identified as Opera, several flavors of Mozilla, or IE5. I haven't tried posting anywhere yet to see the effect.

9. crockett

Hi Chuck;

I think some sites 'require' the browser identification in order to tailor their pages for 'optimum' display, but no big deal.

I use third-party software to stop any browser identification anyway, and I have no problem connecting to any site I may wish.

Feel free to ask any question you may want - lots of 'more-knowledgeable-than-Crockett' people around here anyway, so you'll always get some good help from the other guys on this BBoard.

Rgds, Crockett :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.