Mozilla and Google Sign New Agreement for Default Search in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

They need to improve the sluggish interface which is the worst of all browsers.

2. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. Even i unticked "use hardware acceleration if it is necessary" and disabled "tab animation" using about:config. Its interface is still sluggish, changing tab is slow compared to other browsers. I experience this even it doesn't have addons.

I experienced, Opera has the less sluggish interface, changing tab or scrolling in page is not slow even loading some pages background.

Second one is Chrome. It has been cause some lagging sometimes which is not a big deal to me for now. Changing tab or opening new tab while loading page is good, but scrolling in pages is not so good. IE is good either. But Firefox is really annoying!

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Can you be more specific about the Sluggish Interface? What bothers you so much?
    Did you try another Theme like QSQ or MX3 o_O

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm not getting this sluggishness, even on my slightly underpowered notebook.

The tab scrolling is quite fast on Opera. I'm not so impressed with everything else though. I still think that one day Opera ASA might fix it. Maybe nearer the end of the century ... ;)

The slow scrolling always bothered me a bit & was the only thing I really disliked about Gecko-engined browsers until I discovered SmoothWheel. I really recommend it. :thumb:

Perhaps a faster Chromium fork? ;)

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Chrome prioritizes UI responsiveness over every other process so that shouldn't be an issue.

If you'd like smooth scrolling try going to about:flags and enabling it there.

6. Daveski17

I think it's the slow speed of the scrolling that is often annoying. The SmoothWheel extension enables many things, but what I principally like about it is that you can vary actual scroll speeds from various presets. I like 1/10th page - Turbo - 0.1 sec.

That really flies on a laptop!

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's also most secure, and has the best fabulous extensions site, and the most efficient ad-blocking mechanism. I don't use it but this is what I understand to be absolutely true.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

A few weeks ago, I thought Mozilla was trying to orchestrate a bidding war between Google and MS, and I mistakenly believed Google wasn't that motivated to participate. I thought (also mistakenly) that we'd probably see a deal announced with Mozilla and MS. So much for behaving like any of this makes sense to me. :cautious:

9. Daveski17

You really need to lay off the eggnog! ;)

10. Daveski17

That Google wasn't interested much was suggested on this (or other) threads recently, as polls apparently had been showing that by around the year 2525 only 15 people or so will actually be using Firefox. Thus Google may have made a substantially lower offer. This, astoundingly, turned out to be inaccurate. ;)

Google must have offered more money.

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I use Firefox 3 for Firefox 4. What bothers me the most? I think the fact that I notice a much speedier interface on Opera and Chrome. For example when I click on the bookmarks icon the CPU usage is spiking up. Same when I close a tab with middle click. And these things happen with or without addons.

12. pandorax

It is too annoying that Firefox is working good on someone elses system. I really can't understand. I had a look at some youtube videos and i saw their Firefox is sluggish too.

Only thing that annoying opera for me is while utorrent uses most of bandwith, it loads webpages relatively slow (very slow) than other browsers.

I don't think that i will use Firefox with its sluggish interface on my system ;)

I tried it before, bu it was 2 years ago maybe or 1.5, i don't know. I may try it again.

I don't think it will help to me but it doesn't hurt to try :)
    Edit: I have tired it. It hasn't helped me out.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Polls or extrapolation of "statistics"?

"In the year 2525, If man is still alive, If woman can survive, They may find..."

Of course, there's 2012 and the Mayans to deal with first :eek:

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wonder why people keep thinking the Mayan calendar thing is a "doomsday" prophecy? It has nothing to do with it, simply a new cycle. The calendar has never "ended" with the year 2012. Anyway, on topic, the only thing I can think of that would cause this "sluggishness" would be the hardware acceleration. From the time the feature was implemented, there were blacklisted video cards and there still are. If you tried to force the issue, you'd start seeing some issues. A massive amount of extensions might cause it, especially if said extensions already didn't work well, had bugs and so on. Other than those reasons, I'm stumped. The last couple of releases have been the best in a long while.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Back on topic?
    Fixing "slow" Firefox is about as off-topic in "Mozilla and Google Sign New Agreement for Default Search in Firefox" as 2012 and Mayans and 2525 :D

16. pandorax

Antique Mayan Civilization: :thumb:

Firefox: :thumbd:

:D

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lmao :D Look, it was more related to the topic than the damned Mayans, so hush!

18. Daveski17

It's odd that many who find Opera running well find Fx not running well & vice versa. It may be a hardware issue or some software incompatibility.

As far as I can tell Iron's running really well at the moment.

19. Daveski17

LOL! But ... which one is extinct? ;)

20. Daveski17

Opinion polls, opinionated Poles, extrapolations, statistics, didgeridoos ... all meaningless when you consider what it all has to do with the price of Vegemite in Switzerland ... or not. ;)

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

or less unrelated o_O Anyway, looks like this is heading the way of most threads ... I'm going to plug my browser :D

22. Daveski17

Don't all threads eventually end up as this? ;)

I'd plug SeaMonkey but it's losing so many extensions these days pretty soon it will be IE.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You (or CMonkeyBloke) never did mention whether you got WOT working with 2.6 or not.

24. Daveski17

I have been experimenting on a portable. I'll get back to you & CMonkeyBloke asap. :cool:

25. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.