Mozilla and Google Sign New Agreement for Default Search in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Also, what's your issue with instant? Is that in reference to omnibox prerendering or just search?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Both..consider me picky :D I just don't like how it works. As far as the Omnibox itself, I'm just not impressed. All it is is a space saver, that's it.

3. Hungry Man

How it works?

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Okay, examples: Let's go back to my old complaint about not being able to delete history. To me, it looks like it's purposely that way just so their "Instant" feature can shove itself in my face. As far as pre rendering and Instant, pardon me for not liking how I start to type in something and a thousand unrelated things drop down and such :D Lol, Hungry, what it boils down to with me is that I think the "old way" is perfectly fine. And, all these new things that supposedly make my life better just distract me when they work, and annoy me to no end when they don't.

I really have no other way to put it. I just don't like a lot of this stuff and that's pretty much that. I don't see any benefit from it.

5. Hungry Man

Uhhh, you can delete history haha or am I misunderstanding?

I also think prerendering is separate from instant. You mean instant like Google search?

I can see someone disliking both instant and prerendering I guess. But I think omnibox prerendering is very accurate and speeds things up a lot.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Nope, you're not misunderstanding at all, lol. Insane as it seems, Chrome has never properly deleted history for me, push the button I might, it's a no go. I didn't even use Google search with Chrome usually, lol. They've just screwed it all up, between "instant results", that stupid "preview" of every result on the search page, and the constant reminder of where I live. I absolutely detest them as a search provider these days.

7. Hungry Man

Chrome://history and manually delete perhaps?

Strange that it won't for you.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I swear to you it's been like that for several releases, lol. Never seen anything like it.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Primarily because they're often subjective, unreliable & can be manipulated.

I didn't think that the Spice Girls were any good.

10. Hungry Man

And I would agree if there weren't multiple independent studies all showing the same trends.

11. Daveski17

Yeah ... big time. :eek:

I agree, Fx is steadily getting better IMO, I liked Iron when I first used it, regardless of its bugs, but it is a bit of a Lotus 7 compared to an Aston Martin if you ask me. Chrome/Iron always felt like a bit of a, dare I say it, toy browser to me. More of a beach buggy than a saloon car, nice enough, but not totally serious.

What he said ...

12. Daveski17

There's no need to shout. ;)

It reminds me a bit of the 'Harry Potter bubble'. Rowling was initially lauded for enticing a generation of children away from their PlayStations, movies & other non-literary amusements to read her books. This was viewed by many as a great change & a breakthrough. Although many of us more cynical educators perceived the entire Harry Potter phenomenon as more of a fashionable 'bubble' which would eventually burst. Younger generations are more likely to have seen the films nowadays, than to have actually read the novels themselves.

There were multiple independent studies about that too, for every one that said one thing, there was one that predicted the opposite. One thing that I have learned in life, is to expect the unexpected.

My prediction for Firefox in three years? I'm not sure whose search engine will be its default but, not only will it still be here, people like yourself will still be predicting its demise in about three years.

13. Hungry Man

Sociological studies that look at trends in children are a lot more complicated than seeing users move from one product to another.

People loved Netscape too and it was a great browser at the time... things have their time and I'm not betting on Firefox's lasting.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Same topic... Different title... Same people... Same arguments ;)

15. Daveski17

LOL! I don't need a crystal ball any more!

16. Daveski17

"Sociological studies that look at trends in children" ROTFLMAO!

Sod me! Where do you get this stuff from? I'm talking about fashion bubbles & trends like the hula hoop, the surfboard & BMX! 'Sociology' makes about as much sense as statistics do. This is my whole point.

You have to be a science graduate. ;)

People still love Netscape.

17. guest

guest Guest

Rofl . :D

18. niki

niki Registered Member

Excerpt:
    http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...icrosoft-release-custom-firefox-with-bing.ars

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

LOL.....

20. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

[MOVE]:D - :cool: - :shifty: - ;) [/MOVE]

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

22. Daveski17

I'm definitely getting a sense of déjà vu ...

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That's a polite (and possibly sophisticated) way of saying it's blah, blah, blah, all over again.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Studies? Or just collation and extrapolation of data? I think studies should be reserved for something a little more profound, you know, something with original thought.

25. Daveski17

I've never said blah, blah, blah. Well, not in so many words. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.