Moving XP SP2 to a larger disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FlyingSaucer, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer Registered Member

Hi,

I've just purchased TI, running build 770. I am trying to move my XP SP2 system from one drive to a larger drive on the same PC, and cannot get it to work.

I have two disks on the PC:
    15GB with partitions C (XP SP2), D (Data)
    40GB with partitions F (was Win98 system), G,H,I (data)

I am trying to restore an image from C to the old W98 partition on the larger disk. The image copies OK, then I change the disk jumpers so that the 40GB disk is the boot disk. XP comes on this disk, but the drive letter is F, and the pagefile is located on the 15GB disk labelled as drive C. If I remove the 15GB disk, the larger one won't boot at all.

I've tried restoring the image both under XP and stand-alone. I've made sure I don't allocate a drive letter during the restore operation. I cannot understand why the new system partition is booting up as drive F - I thought it should boot as drive C.

Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong?

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Immediately after you cloned the disk, did you happen to leave both drives connected when you tried to boot? If so, that's likely the cause of your trouble. See this document

3. FlyingSaucer

Thanks for the link. It does have similarities to what I am seeing. However, I've tried disconnecting the smaller disk from the PC, then doing a standalone restore and boot with only the bigger disk connected. When I did this, Windows hung on boot (probably because it was looking for a pagefile on another disk). So I don't think the problem is just to do with bringing up the system with both disks connected.

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

If you suspect the pagefile location, have you tried booting into Safe Mode to correct the setting?

5. FlyingSaucer

It didn't come up in safe mode without the other disk connected. I'll try it again later.

6. FlyingSaucer

This worked when I restored the image standalone with the original system disk disconnected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.