Moving Server 2003 to new hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jhsmusicman, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhsmusicman

jhsmusicman Registered Member

Is it possible to use ATI to move an existing Windows 2003 Server to a new computer? I would like to move it over to a more powerful server and not have to recreate all of the settings.

I do own ATI workstation 9 w/universal restore (not installed yet) and have a boot cd made. Will it work to use this without installing it on the local machine, just booting from the CD?

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. jhsmusicman

If I install it on a workstation, create the boot CD w/universal restore, and uninstall it from the workstation, will that work for moving a server to a newer computer?

Thanks

4. jhsmusicman

Anyone?

5. Volatile

Volatile Registered Member

I have 3 servers with Windows Server 2003 and I have been backing them up for about 8 months. 2 months ago I checked the backups by restoring each tib file to a almost-like server using universal restore. All three attemps worked great. I had to make a floppy with the SATA drivers for UR and specify during the restore process. This week I have tried the same 3 tib backups and for some reason I get a blue screen on boot following the Windows loader screen. I have high belief the blue screen is driver related... but am curious because the hardare in this server has not changed and I am using the same floppy I had before. Any suggestions?

6. Volatile

Volatile Registered Member

I just redownloaded the SATA drivers from DELL's site and reran the restore. This time around it worked... got me... maybe something happened with the disk...

Windows 2003 Server restore with 'not-like hardware' works just fine for me with the exception of these little detailed issues that will occur from time to time.

7. jhsmusicman

Thanks for the info. I will cross my fingers and give it a try. I am going from a three year old Dell server (IDE) to a new Dell PowerEdge server (SATA). I will make sure to have all of the drivers handy.

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

8. fresnoboy

fresnoboy Registered Member

How did you get ATI workstation to install on windows server 2003? I bought AT 9.1 CWS because of this thread but it won't install on my windows 2003 home server.

thx
    mike

9. jhsmusicman

I still have not moved my old server to the new server, but was planning on using the boot cd to do the image. I assume that booting from the disk will let me image whatever operating system is on the computer as it just looks at the data not the OS.

I'll let you know if it works..... otherwise I will be doing a fresh install of Windows 2003 Server and rebuilding AD.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my explanation. Please notice that in order for Acronis Universal Restore to work it has to understand the operating system in the image. Thus, while Acronis Bootable Rescue Media will allow you to back up and restore any operating system (and drives with no operating system as well), Acronis Universal Restore will work only with Windows operating systems it's particular version supports. You can find lists of supported operating systems for each versions of Acronis Universal Restore in the "Systems requirements" sections of the respective versions of Acronis True Image on our officical website (see here for Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, here for Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows and here for Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server) and in respective User's Guides. Please also see User's guides for more details on how Acronis Universal Restore works.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.