Moving OS partition to new larger drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tahoeflyer, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoeflyer

tahoeflyer Registered Member

Any and all help is appreciated:

What I am trying to achieve is to move my OS (Windows XP Pro) from my current 300 gb drive that I have allocated 10 gb as drive C: to a new Raptor 74 gb drive. Both drives are SATA drives. As a final item I would like to make the Raptor my new C: drive as the boot drive.

• Current OS Windows XP Pro on C: partition of 10 gb of larger 300 gb drive
    • Currently the size of C: drive for my OS is too small (presently at 9.7 gb of 10 gb partition)
    • Purchased new SATA Raptor 74 gb drive (10k rpm drive)
    • Reformatted Raptor drive using Disk Management Wizard as a Bootable drive
    • Made an image of the C: partition on another partition of the same drive (the 300 gb drive)
    • Restored the image on the Raptor as Drive O, as an Active drive using Restore Wizard, identified as a Master Drive
    • Tried to reboot from this drive using the Bios e.g. identified the Drive . . . . . but stops on black PCI Device Listing screen
    • Also disconnected the original drive (300 gb) to see if this would make the Raptor a C: drive as this would be the only Master drive showing, again it stops on the same page, but at the bottom I get the message “Boot from CD/DVD”
    • How do I boot from this new drive/partition and make it the primary boot drive, or what am I doing wrong? How can I make this my new C: drive, and then rename the old C: drive some other letter (through Disk Management or through Acronis True Image software)?

Thank you in advance for any and all help with my delima as I am stumped.

2. tahoeflyer

tahoeflyer Registered Member

Found solution to moving Window XP Professional OS C: partition to a new larger, faster drive.

1. Original SATA Hard Drive has 5 partitions with the C: drive being the first
    2. New SATA Hard Drive has min 2 partitions using "Hard Disk Management" on the True Image menu to partition as "Bootable" drives
    3. Using "Backup" menu backup to 2nd partition of new drive (you can also backup to another drive or medium), file will be a *.tib file
    4. Go to "Create Bootable Rescue Media" and create a CD if you haven't done so already
    5. Place CD into its drive
    6. Turn off computer and unplug old or original drive ( I plan on using the original drive for storage as it had other partitions that had data and program files on it)
    7. Use the original Hard drives SATA connection to plug into the new drive (this will make it the new C: drive automatically)
    8. Turn on the computer which will load the Acronis True Image Bootable Media
    9. Choose "Full Version" if you have USB devices etc (keyboard, mouse) or have any doubts
    10. Using the recovery CD, "Restore" from the backup (the *tib file on partition 2 of the new drive) and choose the C: drive as the destination
    11. When ask "Do you want to recover more partitions" answer "yes"
    12. Choose the MBR choice
    13. For the destination choose "Disk 1" which is the 2 partition new drive
    14. When it is finished restart the computer and the Windows XP should load
    15. Turn off Computer and reconnect the other drive. All the partition letters will have changed so your Start Menu, Task bar items, icons, program locations etc. if not totally on the C: drive will have changed. This is an easy fix so don't distress see below.

Migrating programs so your desktop and start menu is functional
    1. Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management - Disk Management will allow you to change the letter designation of the drives on your computer. Since I changed a 5 partitioned drive for the 2 partition location all the letters were changed
    2. Just right click on a drive and choose the option "Change Drive Letter and Paths", select change and then just designate the correct drive letter associated with where the original path/drive letter was. You can check this by right clicking on any icon in the "Start Menu", selecting "Properties" and look at "Target". You may have to juggle drive letters to free up a letter if already taken by another partition. Just choose a letter not taken, restart the computer (you can't change a letter and reuse it in the same operation). Go back through the same steps and choose the letter for the drive/partition that you identified by looking at "Target"
    3. Enjoy your fully operational new drive

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.