Moving my PC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Logan5, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

I am moving at the end of the month and taking my pc with me and I was told that it would be best to lock the hard drive before I put it in my car. But I am not sure if he knew what he was talking about or how to do it if he did.

It will also sit in a room for a couple months unused before we finally make it to where we are going. So is there anything I should do to it before I pack it up (it is a Win ME machine)?

Thanks
    Logan

2. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

You can ck the link out. I really am not sure what your friend was saying?

http://www.simtel.iif.hu/pub/pd/62873.html

found the link thru google search

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Eh I think that info is really out of date - on very very old hard drives they would have to be "locked" to be physically moved around because otherwise the reading head or whatever would swing around and could destroy the drive and your info - My prof talked a little about that in management information systems class the semester I graduated... But I don't think you need to worry about that with a hard drive that was made in or since the 90's..

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Logan, HI..

Nah... just wrap a blanket or something soft around the case, move it, then simply put where it's to go.

The only advice I would give is to have it sitting on the car seat, for the soft cushioning beneath, not on car floor unless you have it on a pillow or something soft beneath as the only thing that could happen is jarring and *may* work something a bit loose, like a vid card, etc.

I have one PC Tower that has moved 200 miles [350kms] or more 3 times in last 6 months, no probs.

Cheers, TAS

5. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hey,

Thanks to all for your help. I'll wrap it up and set it on something soft.

Thanks again,
    Logan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.