Moving from Echo Workstation to ABR 10 - New Setup Files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Marpost, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marpost

Marpost Registered Member

I have Echo Workstation and am qualified for a free upgrade to ABR 10. However, I don't want to leave Echo on my computer and use this complicated upgrade process. I just want to delete Echo entirely and then install ABR 10 and Universal Restore from scratch.

How do I get the ABR 10 and Universal Restore basic install setup files?

I want these so that in the future I can reinstall ABR10 and Universal Restore from scratch when I need to. I don't want to have to use Echo and then upgrade or deal with license servers and all of these complications. I just want a simple setup file for each of ABR 10 and Universal Restore.

Can someone get me those setup files or help me with how to get them?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What complicated upgrade process do you mean?

You can uninstall Echo as you would any other program, however, I would imagine the upgrade version of Workstation will work like other upgrades, so you'll need to enter your Echo licence as well as your ABR10 one.

As I'm unable to download Workstation trial at the moment, I'm not sure if the non remote accessed version has the licence server requirements.

3. Marpost

Oh, I thought the upgrade process only works on top of Echo Workstation? You mean if I go through it I will end up with a setup file that is standalone and just requires two serial #'s? In the end I just want to make sure I have two files - ABR 10 and Universal Restore setup files - that I can install anytime I need to.

And I really don't want to deal with any license servers or things like that. I just want two setup files that I install, enter the license #'s during install, and go ahead. That's how it was with TI Home and Echo Workstation and that's all I want now with ABR 10.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Until I can download the 600MB installer to see what it contains I can't answer your question about licence server. I was expecting the standalone version to be around 154MB.

As you have access to the non trial version, what file size if the installer?

Don't forget they now have two versions of Workstation, maybe the non remote version doesn't require licence server, though I think it'll have to have Agent installed unlike Echo and Workstation 9 where you could run it standalone without Agent.

5. Marpost

I'm confused. I already have Echo Workstation. I'm talking about needing the installers for ABR 10 and Universal Restore for ABR 10. You understand that right? I need to get rid of Echo Workstation and install ABR 10 and Universal Restore. And I'd like to end up with a setup file for each of them where I can just run the setup and type in the license #'s like I have for past versions.

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well you have no need to get rid of Echo, but if you read my post carefully, I also am talking about upgrading your Echo W to ABR10 W - if you have qualified for the upgrade, then I imagine that you might find it available under your account. If it isn't and Acronis haven't sent you a link to download, then you can download the trial version and enter the upgrade licence number.

If you have uninstalled Echo, then I'm not sure if the trial version will accept just the trial licence - however if Acronis have sent you the licence number, register it under your account and then download the upgrade which will be available to you.

7. Marpost

I want to uninstall Echo and install ABR from scratch to make sure it works that way. Because if I ever have to reinstall everything, that's how it would be done. So I need to have the setup for ABR 10 and Universal Restore as standalone files.

So you're saying I should just go through the process, get the upgrade, and that IS a standalone installer file?

I'm going to play with this more in the next day or two so please subscribe this thread so we can stay in touch. Thanks so much.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have finally managed to download the trial version of ABR10.
    Assuming the paid for Workstation download is set out the same way as the trial:

You are presented with a whole host of components to download or install.
    If you get this list - then you can ignore all the Linux installs and just choose

AcronisAgentWindows - this is TI itself not the same as the old menaing of Agent.

Bootable Components
    Universal Restore

possibly - TrayMonitor and UpgradeTool and ManagementConsole.

When installing choose the standalone option and you won't require the Licence Server.

9. Marpost

Well I called support today and what they said is that ABR Advanced Workstation needs license server by just plain ABR Workstation does not. Is this true? Or is it possible to use Advanced Workstation and only install parts and then not need the license server? In other words, is Advanced just an installer with additional components that one can choose to install or not install and if you don't install certain ones you won't need a license server?

At the moment I have them working on switching me from Advanced Workstation to regular ABR Workstation so I can have things simpler and down to the level I need without license server.

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The Advanced does need the Licence Server as it has the remote access facility - the Standard doesn't.

From the install help file:

11. Marpost

Thanks Colin. So that seems to confirm it. I just need to get standalone ABR 10 Workstation instead of Advanced. So that's what's being worked on now. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.