Moving Folders

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

What do you think of this article, which applies to winXPHome/Pro
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314843/
    They talk about winnt.exe and winnt32.exe and these files don't even exist on my harddisk (= winXPproSP2).
    I think both files are win2000pro-files, not winXP-files.

2. ErikAlbert

3. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Hi ErikAlbert

Following on from your Ten forward thread:
    Taken from here: http://www.faronics.com/html/dfmappt.asp

Here's a video tutorial 1.5 mins on how to do it: http://www.faronics.com/tutor/MappingTool/MappingTool.html

Here's how to do it manually:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307889&sd=tech

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  4. ErikAlbert

SpikeyB,

Thanks for the links, I will do it this way :

A. TweakUI and FolderMover was my first attempt and very unsuccessfull. So plan A was a flop and in such a situation, people usually go to plan B.

B. Tomorrow, I will try the crazy Dennis Lazo method. If plan B is a fiasco too, than I've to go to plan C.

C. That is your suggestion. This seems to be more complicated and I hope not directly related with DeepFreeze (DF), because that solution would force me to use DeepFreeze and that is unacceptable.
    I don't think it is, considering the link of Microsoft. :)

D. There is no plan D. yet

Plan A, B and C wouldn't even exist, if MS would have been more openminded.
    Of course there was a time that having ONE harddisk of 30 MB was a miracle.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Plan D None of the above. Is the thrash really worth it.

Erik are you familiar with the KISS principle. It has served me well.

6. ErikAlbert

I don't understand you at all.
    First you blame me for talking about hypothetical and theoretical ideas, that have never been tested for real, because my new computer wasn't there to do these tests.
    I have my new computer now to do tests and now you start blaming me for doing worthless tests. What next ?

This new computer is EMPTY, so I can do whatever I want, because I still have my old computer. I don't care if my tests succeed or not, but I would regret it, if I never tried it. There are members at Wilders, who put Windows on a strong diet, who disable most services, who tweak Windows like hell or who are talking about all kinds of problems after installing some software. Why don't you blame them?

It's not because you don't like it or don't want to do it or find it worthless, that other people have to listen to you.
    I've read the threads about RollbackRx (RB), YOUR baby. Was everything OK with RB? No it wasn't. There were troubles with the MBR and the file hal.dll and I still remember somebody saying "RB was a dream during 2.5 weeks and now it's a nightmare".
    Did I blame you for this or laughed at you or criticized you? No I didn't, because these things happen and if you don't try, you will never know.
    I'm application analyst and I have enough experience with testing my own applications and third party applications.
    As an application analyst, I can tell you that Microsoft made a big mistake in not giving the user the opportunity to separate their Windows from personal files in a NORMAL way. The fact that many people on the internet (not only Wilders) want this, proves it.
    Windows needs a re-design to make that possible and if every software company put the user data in the right place and the subfolder "Application Data" under "Document and Settings" is one of them, there wouldn't be a problem.
    A software folder is a bad place to store user data and registry is also a bad place to store user data. If they can store it there, why not somewhere else in a better place. Application softwares can read the registry, but NOT change it. It's just a way of smarter programming. You can store user data in the right place or in the wrong place.

One of my babies is separating Windows from personal files and I like to know how far I can go. If I don't succeed, so be it. Then I have to re-consider my plans for the future.
    This is just a test, like any other test and the good or bad results of this test will influence my next steps.
    Let us quit argueing about this, because you won't change my mind and I won't change your mind and if we don't quit it will end up in a verbal fight.

My new computer will be a test machine in 2006 for all kind of things and I can create any situation on this computer to do these tests, except a home network, but that isn't necessary for me.
    If it goes wrong, I only have to re-install Windows from scratch and once I have my external harddisk, which is still missing, I can restore my computer faster and this new computer works really fast, which means quicker test results. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you want to separate your personal files from the OS:
    Make a separate folder and keep it there.
    Better yet, make a separate partition and keep it there.
    Even better than that, buy a separate HD and keep your personal data there.
    Leave Documents and Settings, My Documents and such alone and empty.
    Mrk

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik

I wasn't criticizing you. I just asked a simple question. Is it worth it?

To me it wouldn't be, but if it is your baby and you want to play, I fully understand that. Have at it, and if you find an easy way post the results so anyone else who wants to do that can do so.

Pete

9. ErikAlbert

Thanks, but I've done all that already, that was the easy part.
    I like to go one step further first and that is moving the entire folder "Documents and Settings", before I give up.
    Besides, this experiment is more exciting than installing CCleaner or running a scanner. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.