Mousejack. Use a wireless mouse? This $15 hack could compromise your PC.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TairikuOkami, Feb 24, 2016.

1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

https://www.bastille.net/affected-devices

http://www.cnet.com/news/i-got-mousejacked/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=21042829401677677968185516752984

If you have got Logitech, you might have a bit problem upgrading firmware, here is the solution:

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyb...ware-available-yet/m-p/1494051/highlight/true

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

That is one reason why I still use my Logitech MX310 from 2003. Any wireless mouse and dangle should have encrypted communications since the day they were invented, but I guess people underestimated the power of hacking :)

Logitech might have put out a firmware to fix this, but there are tons of companies who simply don't care for users' security, which is just sad.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You may not know this... but you can still buy a keyboard and mouse with wires, and it's 2016. It's generally preferred since you don't need to change them.

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

:argh: I know that. I just didn't see a reason to change to wireless, specially since this mouse has been working for 13 years.

I also had a MX300 which was bought around the same era, and it only stopped working because I did a mess with the solder iron, so it was my fault.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There will no firmware update for the wirelss mouse I use, since it's a cheap $10 device I purchased from China. I'm not too worried about this personally, as 99% of the time I don't use a mouse. Even I was to start using it, I wouldn't be too worried. While there is the potential of a security risk, I think it is a very small risk.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Strange that Bluetooth is rarely even mentioned at all this time. It's as if they think that's unrelated or everyone already knows about Bluetooth insecurities or something.

7. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I knew that some WiFi Keyboard\Mouse combos were vulnerable to external hacking, but didn't think it applied to WiFi mouse (Mice?) So, there you go!

I've used a WiFi mouse for years - even though I have a laptop (I can't stand using Touchpads).

Mine isn't on the listing, so I guess I'm OK. In any case, I wouldn't discard my WiFi mouse as the convenience IMO outweighs the security risk.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

After all the revisions that Bluetooth has gone through, one would think it would be stable by now. Or are you talking about old versions of Bluetooth?

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I was just surprised that no comparisons, beyond one being affected and the other not, was made.

10. Brosephine

Brosephine Registered Member

Would a Logitech USB mouse/keyboard be vulnerable to this? If so, would a simple re-installation be a sufficient solution?

11. haakon

haakon Guest

Maybe yes. Maybe no. From post #1 above:
    And found using that google thing:
    https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and-Pointing-Devices/Logitech-Response-to-Unifying-Receiver-Research-Findings/m-p/1493878/thread-id/73186

12. haakon

haakon Guest

Got ya beat. I'm using an RS-232 mouse. COM 1 IRQ 4, of course...

13. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

:argh::argh::argh::argh: That just made my day. Thank you, sir! :thumb:

14. haakon

haakon Guest

I just received a reply to my Zemana support inquiry: AntiLogger Premium will detect and block MouseJack.

So, even if a Nordic Semiconductor nRF24L device is unsupported by a firmware update, protection is available if going wired is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  15. haakon

haakon Guest

And now from Bitdefender:

Kindly be informed that Intrusion Detection module of Bitdefender is responsible to deal with MouseJack threats.
    Best regards,
    - - - - -
    Bitdefender Technical Support Engineer

Note that Intrusion Detection is available only in BD products having their firewall (Internet Security, et al). I've always keep mine set at Aggressive.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://threatpost.com/range-of-mousejack-attack-more-than-doubles/117506/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.