mouse not working in bladecenter

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tom Diroff, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Good day

We are testing Enterprise Mgr 8.0 build 1158. We use IBM Blades in an IBM hs20 blade center. When booting off the CD we can not get the mouse to work when using the blade center remote management so we are forced to use keystrokes.

There are 2 issues. First any idea why the mouse doesn't work. I think the blade center is using a USB mouse.

second when using keystrokes in the part if the restore wizard where you choose the file to restore, if you use a down arrow (because we can't use a mouse) to scroll down through the computer tree to get to the "computers near me" area the system always reboots

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Tom Diroff

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Could you please try to plug the mouse via PS/2 and check whether the problem remains. If it does please create sysinfo.txt file in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

As for rebooting, could you please clarify where exactly the system reboots (what point do you indicate right before it happens)?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Hi

Unfortunately, this is a blade computer in a blade center so hooking up a PS/2 mouse is not an option.

4. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

If it is impossible to plug the mouse via PS/2 please create the sysinfo.txt file described above and send it to us. Also please send the description when exactly the computer reboots. We will investigate both issues and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Hi

I will do that but we have also run into a slightly different issue

Is there a proceedure to assign an IP address to an ethernet port in a computer which is booted from the recovery cd? Some networks will not have DHCP service available when you are trying to restore an image.

Thank you

Tom Diroff

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Tom,

I've no real experience with networks but, after booting from the TI recue CD, did you try selecting "Tools" and then "Options"? Provided your network adaptor is detected whilst in the Linux based rescue environment there are a few network parameters that can be set up under "Options".

Apols in advance if this reply is irrelevant!!

Regards

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  7. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Good Morning

Thank you, I had missed that! Unfortunately it does not seem to help me. I put the IP in and then when I try to find the computer that has the images on to restore it never seems to find it. I have tried entering the IP address or the netbios name but the software just can't find it or any other computer on the network.

I tried pressing F11 at the "starting Acronis loading" prompt and then used the IFCONFIG command to manually enter IP, then used PING to verify that the target computer can be seen, so I think I know there is connectivity at some level.

This restore process used to work when there was a DHCP server on the network but we had to remove it and so manually entering in the IP (along with subnet, gateway, and DNS) has not worked.

What am I missing? (boy, not having a mouse really makes this a pain!)

Thank you

Tom D

8. Menorcaman

9. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

HI again, and Thanks again!

I did read that and it seems as if I am doing things correctly by entering the IP and subnet mask info into the eth0 settings but I am certainly not getting the result I need. When I attempt to use the UNC notation to ID the server (either \\server_name\ or \\server_IP\) the COMPUTERS NEAR ME label appears in the right pane of the window but I am never prompted for a login, visisble shares on the target server never get displayed etc etc. There is nothing to indicate that I am getting to the outside world.

One interesting thing is that every time I go to set the network configuration the default is always set (DHCP). I would expect this on the first time of a session but in the process of setting them and then going back to check the settings I did not expect them to be back to the default. Could this be a symptom that they are really not being set?

Thank you

Tom Diroff

10. Menorcaman

Hi Tom,

Well I did warn you that I had very little experience of networks and now my limited knowledge has been exhausted!!

Hopefully Acronis Support or other users can chip in to help you to solve the problem.

Regards

11. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

One thing that I have noted is that this often works better if you write out the actual share:

\\server\d:\images or \\server\d:\images\backup.tib

It appears that you did not try that?

12. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Hi Been

Thank you!

Yes, I have tried writing out the entire UNC ( I have even tried uttering some magic words ;> ) but nothing seems to work. Since I don't have DHCP availanle on the network do I have to enter more than just the IP and subnet mask?

Thank you

Tom Diroff

13. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Since it did work, why don't we go back to what worked. It will be a fairly rare case to need to boot from the CD, so lets try running a DHCP server on one of the other blades only when we need one. Here is a small free one that you can run when needed:

DHCP Server

It does other things, but you can just run it as a DHCP server.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  14. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

Could you please try to do the following:
    1. Boot with Acronis Bootable CD;
    2. Input network data (IP, DNS, etc.) in the "Tools" -> "Options" as Menorcaman suggested;
    3. Close the "Options" window and leave only the main Acronis True Image window;
    4. Open the network options once again as if you wanted to input IP, DNS, etc. once again and let us know whether the data you inputted before is still there.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the suggestions!

For Ilya - when I manually enter the IP info, close the options window, then re-open it and look in network options **none** of the manually entered settings are still there. It is back to the default of trying to use DHCP.(That is what got thinking that the settings were really not getting set).

For Been - I would love to have a DHCP server online, unfortunately we took it down because it was interfering with 2 netscalers and the blade center management modules and literally bringing the entire production network down. We will try to bring it back at some time when more restrictive settings (scope) but for now the powers that be have declared that it must stay offline.
    Thank you

Tom Diroff

16. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

Apparently, the problem is that the network settings you enter are not remembered by the program. This is a known problem with build 1158, it was already solved and the build with the fix will be available soon. If you need Acronis Bootable CD with the fix urgently please contact support@acronis.com indicating in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ivan Belinsky. Please describe the problem in the letter briefly and include your serial number and the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.