Mouse interference with All-Seeing-Eye

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by Fedorov999, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Having broken my Norton Antivirus (my own fault), I decided to give NOD32 a try for a few days.

I use the All-Seeing-Eye from http://www.udpsoft.com to view where my fellow Clan members are in the gaming world.

I noticed that when I launced ASE my mouse pointer would freeze/jump around, presumably while NOD32 was scanning the files it was loadingo_O

Exiting from Amon and loading ASE again everything was fine.

What is Amon actually doing when you open the window and see it couting thousands of files on my system - is it doing something that Norton doesn't do?

I have un-installed NOD32 and returned to my bloated Norton 2003 but I get no weird mouse issues and I never really had any issues with Norton in the first place, just thought I'd test the opposition out :)

Fedorov.

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't have the All Seeing Eye program, but I came here today to make a post about mouse interference from NOD and saw your post.

My problem is that when NOD 32 updates, like it did a few minutes ago, my mouse stops working. I, of course, don't know that NOD32 is updating as it does so silently in the background. Thus, when my mouse pointer suddenly starts flickering and I cannot control it and it acts as though I need to clean the ball mechanism, I never think about the fact that it might be NOD updating and I frantically try to get it to work!

Any way to stop this from happening? It is not a major inconvenience, but I never had this happen with other anti virus programs and it is irritating.

3. Fedorov999

Solution: put NAV2003 back on like I did, it might be bloated, but I've used it for the last 10 years and it has never failed me.

If Symantec keep bloating it I will keep trying low-resource alternatives like NOD, but I still can't find anything better.

Fedorov.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I believe this is due to the updating process (when NOD32 has downloaded the update and is trying to install it) being very cpu-intensive (although I could be wrong).

Just a guess as I get this on a Windows ME system, but not on a Windows XP system (which makes sense as Windows XP manages resources and cpu MUCH better than Win 9x).

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Fedorov999

Maybe the case for Mele20, but for me I'm running a very fast WindowsXP and I always have auto-updates turned off, it was simply Amon presumably scanning the files as the application loaded I believe.

Fedorov.

6. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

NOD32 updates on-the-fly after downloading the update. This process requires pathing the databases, program in memory itself etc.
    I guess, due the nature of the program, this tasks have the highest possible priority in the system. This could be the reason for slowing down the system during patching process.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>I believe this is due to the updating process (when NOD32 has downloaded the update and is trying to install it) being very cpu-intensive (although I could be wrong).

>Just a guess as I get this on a Windows ME system, but not on a Windows XP system (which makes sense as Windows XP manages resources and cpu MUCH better than Win 9x).

That makes sense...especially since it is installing on the fly and I do have W98SE. Guess I have to put up with it until I get a new computer as I don't plan to upgrade this one to XP.
    I wish there was a way though to be warned that NOD was updating. I think I may turn off auto update.

8. zappa

zappa Registered Member

I'm on WIN98 and my mouse flickers when NOD is updating. It lasts about 20 seconds, yawn, then it is over.

I don't do auto update thus I am really ready for no mouse for 20 seconds when I do click update. NOD rips through 20 gigs in 3 minutes vs. 20 minutes for Norty.

I have seen people post time after time saying they walked away the first time they ran NOD scanner came back and reran scan because they were sure it couldn't have done it's task that quickly, it's very funny to read that over and over, I always chuckle as the same thing happened to me.

I use to have Norty. I use to have McAfee too. Like NOD better, my 2 cents.

9. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

On the CC Update tab couldn't you just mark "ask"?

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Indeed, Stan ;).

regards.

paul

11. Fedorov999

Mele's problem may have been the auto-update running in the background but that don't explain what Amon did to my WinXP.

Can someone please explain to me why Amon is continually incrementing the File count no.? I presume it is constantly scanning all files on my PC in the background.

While that never caused a problem, Amon was certainly to blame for taking my cpu cycles when loading All-Seeing-Eye and scanning the files as it loaded.

Fedorov.

12. Stan999

13. Stan999

Or if you just exclude eye.exe that may do it.

I downloaded that program to check. When I excluded eye.exe that stopped the mouse problem.

14. Fedorov999

Thanks for trying it yourself, I appreciate I can just exclude it but I would like to hear from NOD support as to why this happens, and obviously not just for me now you've replicated the problem yourself :)

Thanks for your help.

Fedorov.

15. Stan999

Well, it has been my experence that just about all AV programs conflict with some programs. This would include Norton, McAfee, etc..

Actually I have found that NOD has less conflicts then any of the others I have used including Norton and that is the main reason I use NOD plus its speed.

The "exclude from scan" provided by NOD on the Amon GUI is an easy fix.

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

While we wait on additional information from the Eset folks, I'd like to point people over to this earlier thread that discusses issues with NOD32 and mouse delays and/or hesitations. It seems the issue relates to how often and how many times the same file or files are accessed when they are executed. NOD32 seems to scan the file again for every new access made to it, which I believe is appropriate since the scanner has no way of knowing from one new access to another that the file has not been changed by malware...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4909

Regards,
    LowWaterMark

17. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hey Fedorov,
    We have replicated that and checking it now. We want to help you having also other important things to do related to the new version of NOD - so pls. try to exclude it first and you'll hear from us.

rgds, :)

jan

18. Fedorov999

Thanks Jan, like I said I wasn't happy that it was doing that to my system so I went back to NAV2003 for now.... but I am eagerly awaiting your new V2 of NOD to try, everything in ONE interface and still using low resources is what I am looking for - as well as regular virus updates of course like NAV.

Can someone please explain from my original post what Amon is doing, continually scanning files in the background even when I am not doing anything, the file count just keeps increasing. Is this something that NAV does in the background only we don't get to see a visual indication of ito_O

Thanks again, Fedorov.

19. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Fedorov,

Depending on teh configuration, the Active Monitor (Amon) is scanning all files, .dlls etc. that are called. Even when you aren't doing anything, running programs do - often repeatedly - a software firewall for example.

regards.

paul

20. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Can someone please explain from my original post what Amon is doing, continually scanning files in the background even when I am not doing anything, the file count just keeps increasing.

Amon doesn't arbitrarily take it into its head to scan files ... it activates only when a file is accessed. Unless you tell Windows to cease doing its default routine tasks, the OS is never completely "idle" until your PC goes into "sleep" mode ... Windows is continually doing "something", and when it does, Amon picks this up. Sit and watch your HD activity light for a few minutes and you'll see it flicker occasionally, even though you're not doing anything. Some of these processes are "invisible", but you can see some of them appear and disappear in Task Manager if you want to get really nosy. :)

21. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi,

the All-Seeing-Eye - the file "eye.exe" is compressed - that's why it takes Amon a bit longer scan - it's not so bad for me - you can exclude it if you want - anyway we are working on it to make it faster.

There is a very small delay after the update to reload the scanner - also not important for me - anyway, you can set NOD32 Control Center to "Ask" so that you would be noticed when an update comes.

rgds, :D

jan

22. Fedorov999

Thanks for all the help on this and testing the program I had the problem with. I will stick with NAV2003 until your new version comes out, unless you want another beta tester - software developer myself.

Thanks again.

Fedorov.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.