Mouse causes Reboot -UGH

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Doug____, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug____

Doug____ Registered Member

Move or touch Mouse and reboot:
    I have tested Ver10 Buid 4942 on 4 different Cpts.
    Only Once have I been able to Boot from the Recovery Boot Disk and done a restore!!
    I am at my Wits end!
    The one time I did restore was from a boot disk I made on another CPT.
    WHAT AM I Doing Wrong??
    I have tried 3 different mice thinking my problem was either Opyical or USB - Does not mater. Touch the mouse and I get a rebot from the Recovery Screen.\
    AnY Thoughts?
    Doug

2. Guarddog

Guarddog Registered Member

Hi Doug.

I just purchased v.10 today ( build 4942 ) and I also get a reboot when I move the mouse too ( when I boot from the Recovery boot disk ).

I have also tried the kernel params of "quiet acpi=off noapic" with no luck.
    My machine is an old Dell Optiplex GX110.

I have not yet had a chance to send an email to support but I will soon.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Look in the Bios for something to do with Legacy Usb Support and change it. If that makes no difference, change it back.

4. Doug____

This Reboot has happened on a Dell 8400, Dell 4300, Dell 2350 and a Compaq!
    All with a New Instal of Windows XP Pro SP2.
    I have tried 2 different USB Mice as well as 3 different PS2 mice with the same results.

5. DwnNdrty

Okay so you tried a ps2 mouse as well ... this is definitely wierd! Just to clarify, does the problem disappear ONLY when you use the boot CD made on another system?
    And when you get the reboot problem on the three other systems, is this with another boot CD or are you running the restore from within windows on these systems?

6. Guarddog

In my case my mouse is a PS2 mouse.
    I also tried disabling the USB controller and the mouse from the bios.
    So now I do not have any issues with the mouse causing a reboot.
    I do get farther but when I try accessing a different computer on the network it also causes a reboot.
    Seems to be problems I think with the drivers it is using to use the peripherals on the motherboard.

I plan on creating a call with tech support but unfortunately I need to get a floppy disk in this machine to get the sysinfo results so I must swap in a new floppy drive ( now where did I put that extra one... ).

7. Doug____

All most all of my tests have been using the Boot CD.
    Easch time I made a test back-up of a partion I would make a Boot CD at the same time.
    Just for the heck of it on the 4th or 10th? time I grabbed a Boot CD I made on another computer and it seamed to work just fine! Wow I thought I had my problem solved. Just put that cd in an air tight Safe for the future. Yesterday I decided to do one more test before wiping my Main Computer Clean and updating its HD's and System.
    I grabbed a Compaq Test computer I had laying around. Zeroed out the hadd disk and installed XP pro and Acronis 10. Did a backup and made a boot cd. Shut it down a couple of times and restarted to make sure everything worked as advertised. I then booted from the Boot Cd.
    Cd booted to the Opening Acronis Screen. I clicked on Full Version and after a Min. The pick a Task screen came up. I touched the Mouse and Cpt rebotted.
    I next tried the Boot CD that had worked earlier and the same thing happened! - UGH !
    I can not beleive this is happening to a lot of people if they are testing their Boot CD's?? Could XP Pro be a problem?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Doug

Oh No - Now What I just booted from the disk that did not work yesterday - tried Tabing around then tried my mouse and it DID NOT Rebooto_O

8. DwnNdrty

Just for thehellofit (LOL) ... run chkdsk /r on all three systems.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Another strange one especially with a PS2 mouse being involved. Normally it is some wireless mice and some USB mice that cause a problem but the problem is no mouse action not a reboot.

If it is happening with the rescue CD then XP is out of the problem other than it was used to create the rescue CD. However, the rescue CD Full version is Linux.

The rescue CD made on any machine is the same, it is not machine specific. Of course, if a machine has a problem and doesn't burn the CD correctly then that's a different story.

When I first read this post my first thought was a bad download. Need to do a checksum compare with the checksum of the good file.

DwnNdrty suggested a chkdsk /r on the systems, why not, have to start somewhere to eliminate things. Be sure to do all partitions.

I would throw in a memory test as well. memtest86+, V1.7, free from www.memtest.org.

10. Doug____

Checkdsk reported no problems on 2 cpts which I would think should not matter anyway.
    I will try the Mem test when I can get a cpt with floppy up and on line.

Ijust grabed a trashed hd and stuck it in the cpt. Booted the Backup disk. Used the Tab to get through the screens but the acronis could not find this HD. I am now zeroing out the HD and try again. I assume Acronis can find a disk that has been zeroed out or do I have to format it first?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  11. Guarddog

I know for me the disk drive is fine.
    I had done a fresh install of XP on this box and the drive was reformatted from scratch.

Also when I take the same recovery disk and boot it up from a different computer and I navigate though the menu options and even browse the network it is ok.
    I suspect it is a driver issue with the kernel they are shipping for 10.0.
    The mouse/nic is all onboard for at least my dell so I suspect it is a chipset driver problem they have on the 10.0.

12. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I wonder if for some reason the cursor is stuck on the "x" at the top right of the window and closes the Acronis boot loader causing a reboot and then by "tabbing" that is moving the cursor off the "x"
    I can't for the life of me see why when using the Rescue CD any errors on the disk would cause this problem. At this point he is in a Linux environment using the "Ram" only for memory.
    Gaurddog has a good point.
    Gaurddog did you try tabbing to see if that helps .
    Worth a try.

13. Doug____

I think it is a problem with the 10 build!
    I was able to Tab Around in a Test of Imaging a zeroed disk. I even had Acronis tell me it was restoring and had 45 min to go! Ok I can live with that until I bumped my mouse after 10 min and it rebooted - UGH1 Now for the kicker - It Trashed the HD. UGH UGH!!
    Is there a way I could try an earlier build? Maybe that Boot disk would work?
    Also I have NEVER had this problem with the Ultibate Boot CD for Windows. I am trying to instal the Acronis plug in but with out a lot of luck yet. I trashed 3 CD's and will try again later!

14. Guarddog

If I did not touch the mouse or even when I totally disabled the mouse via the bios I was able to navigate though the menus without any problem.
    However when it tried to access a computer on the network it then rebooted.

15. DwnNdrty

Use re-writeable CDs. You could also try making a BartPE cd with the Acronis Plug-in. There's a whole thread here on how to do this. But this re-booting thing sure is a strange one.

16. Doug____

Does anyone know for sure that Boot recovery CD's made on different make and model computers are all the same if using the same build of TI 10?

17. DwnNdrty

Indeed, they are. The only difference, if any, would be the quality of the burn which might be different due to the burner and the media used. Some burners don't like some brands of media.

18. Doug____

It appears Acronis Support does not want to touch this post - I wonder why? I subimited a support request. It will be interesting when or if I get an answer.o_O

19. Guarddog

I just submitted a support request too.
    Since there are a few of us with the same problem hopefully it won't be too difficult for them to diagnose the problem.

20. markpizz

markpizz Registered Member

I recently had a system which also crashed when booted from TI 10.0 build 4942 recovery media when touching the mouse and/or accessing the network.

I fixed this problem, by reseating the memory in the system.

I was surprised that this worked and surprised that windows didn't have a problem with the memory. Aparrently windows and Linux use the available RAM differently and hence the crashes only under the recovery boot.

21. Guarddog

Any chance you ran memtest on the system before you reseated the memory ? It would have been interesting to see if memtest reported any problems.

22. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, maybe Doug can run memtest on his before and after the prob gets solved. It doesn't sound like a mouse problem per se since it happens with PS2 and usb both.

23. Doug____

I ran a Memory test then I swapped Memory modules and ran a test again.
    I did not see any difference.
    I decided to quite playing with that cpt untill I hear something from Support.
    Now for another interesting thing that has happened. Two other test cpts that gave me trouble when I first started playing with TI are Not Re Booting like they were a week ago. Go figure that one out because I sure can't!
    In the long run it would not suprise me that it could be a memory problem that lunix has and windows doesn't. My test cpts have various mixes and matches of memory.
    Doug

24. DwnNdrty

I don't know if this was mentioned before but it seems like it would be worth making the BartPE cd and include the True Image plugin in it. Then see if you get the same mouse effect.

25. Doug____

I wasted a couple of disks last week trying to get the plug-in to work. After pitching the disks I found out that Acronis gets hidden in a system folder and not the programs folder. Maybe next week I will try another build. It might be the ony way to go since I have never had a problem with Bart in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.