Mounting a backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by anthonytaylor1967, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthonytaylor1967

anthonytaylor1967 Registered Member

Hi all,
    New to this so bare with me.
    I've searched through the forums and cannot find anything. So hopefully someone can help me.
    I have recently purchased Hard Disk Manager 12 after reviewing various free software. I have made a few backups and now I want to be able to mount my backups view what ever files eg. Pictures, Videos and so on. I cannot find anywhere in this software to do it. I fear that I've made a boo boo buying this as I was reasonably happy with Comodo Backup, but because of a couple of corrupt backups, I thought buying a renowned software would see me right.
    What I don't want to do is restore a full backup of my documents folder.
    This is a slow learning curve for me, regarding backups.

Hope someone can help.

2. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Hard Disk Manager is NOT a disk imaging program from what I have read. Paragon Backup and Recovery is. Also why would you buy it when Paragon has a free edition? Did you make a recovery cd? I have mounted several images using the bootable cd then image off my external HDD.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

@anthony

Go to archives tab.

Rt click the archive and select Mount.

@Aventador

Hard Disk Manager includes both imaging and partitioning.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Hopefully somebody who uses the program more than I do in this regard will answer. However, you can see your files by right-clicking the archive, select Restore from selected archive and the Restore Wizard will start. On about the second screen you can work down the file structure tree and see all the files and folders.

I don't see a Mount option in HDM11 Suite when right-clicking the archive.

I only create and restore Paragon images so I can't give you more of an answer. I prefer to do data file backups with a program like SyncBack which preserves the native folder and file format and structure.

Hard Disk Manager does indeed do images and while there is a free Backup and Recovery Program, there are advantages to having the paid version.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. anthonytaylor1967

Cheers Guys, that was a great help. Been a sleepless night for getting up late lol so on here to respond. Anyway I followed the instruction given and this is what I had to do.
    Had to go into the advanced section. I had to click on the "add an existing Archive" Icon. Chose my archive and then right clicked and chose mount. Though I have noticed different file types and it isn't clear what can be added to the database. So i selected, only show archives and where the archives then show, i need to choose, "show partitions" from the drop down box above the archive selections..Then right click and the mount option is there. OMG I sure can waffle LOL. I'm feeling my way as I do this at 2-45am lol.

Right cheers lads, I best go, before I really mess things up.

Thank you for your help.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If the archive isn't already listed - you need to add it, as you discovered.

Thanks for letting us know.

Glad it's working for you.:D

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi, you need to open the main interface - then select the archives tab.

You can mount archives by rt clicking any that are listed there.

If it isn't listed - you need to add it.

You can only mount from Main interface>Archive Tab.

8. anthonytaylor1967

Year cheers. Will see how I get on with it tomorrow now lol.

You like me, up all hours lol

I best go to bed , supposed to get my daughter up for school at 7am LOL

Thank you for your help

9. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

I hate to correct you but HDM is in fact a disk imaging software.

10. anthonytaylor1967

Yes, you are correct, it is a combination of all their hard disk programs.
    May be Aventador was unaware of this. But I thank him and everyone for there input.
    It is quite a complicated bit of kit and one that I'll get to grips with eventually. May take decades LOL

Tony

11. seekforever

That's where I was and I re-checked. The Mount is not available on the right-click menu in HDM 11 Suite. The menu lists: Add archive to database, Remove archive from database, Restore from selected Archive (brings up Restore Wizard), Check Archive Integrity and Differential Backup.

I searched in the Help file under MO and it mentions Mount and Mounted but the text that comes up is unrelated. Mount does not appear at all under Contents in the Help.

So unless I'm still doing something wrong, I'd say it's not present in this version.

12. anthonytaylor1967

If you are in the advanced section, when you have added an archive and it becomes visible, there is a drop down box. if you click on the box and then select show partitions. The archive type should turn into a blue pie. Right click and mount should be there. It is for me with the help of the other guys on here. I presume you have your backup drive connected. If you already added an archive and disconnected your backup device or drive then the mount option will not be there.

Tony

13. anthonytaylor1967

Will this help, Seek?

Attached Files:

14. seekforever

Thanks for posting the graphic. That's exactly where I am and what I'm doing it is just that my right-click menu ends at the Differential Backup entry. This seems to confirm the Mount is a new "command" for HDM 12 Suite and is not in HDM 11 Suite.

15. anthonytaylor1967

Sorry seek, I thought it would have been in that version too. I was using a free backup before i got this, which was very good, called Comodo. It does a hell of a lot and mounts backups. I just decided to go for paragon. Think I only paid £10 for it.

16. seekforever

I've heard of Comodo but never looked at it and I think it is a data file type backup. Is that correct or will it make images and allow you to restore to a new disk if your disk goes bad?

As I said above, I only use Paragon for images of my C drive which I make manually from time to time and I certainly wouldn't want to be without an imaging program. I keep my data files elsewhere and they are backed up every night by SyncBack. I prefer to have a backup with the same file and folder structure and not have all the files stuffed into a container file. IMO, this makes it a lot easier to see what has been backed up and I don't have to do mounts or start another program to see what I have.

17. anthonytaylor1967

Yes I think you are correct in thinking it doesn't do images, though I may be wrong. But, I used it just for backing up my files and you can do it incrementally. And you can select just a straigh copy type of backup so it doesn't get compressed. Why don't you give it a go? it's no where near as complicated as Hard Disk Manager. But, it does a good job.It has a backup wizard and an advanced section. You also get 2gig of online storage with something called the cloud. Go on, give it a go. It won't harm your system and they don't send you any emails offering you this and that, as long as you tick the box when you are intalling it.
    God I'm waffling LOL

18. seekforever

I'm using SyncBack which does a great job of file backup with all the features including more than I require so I don't have a need for anything else but I'll keep it in mind.

19. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I habve lots of Paragon products.

I don't know if I have HDM11 Pro - will have a look and see.

20. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I found Backup and recovery 11 - it mounts perfectly.

Perkhaps you didn't install the mount drivers?

When you install - you should get a little pop up from windows asking if you want to install the drivers. Tick always trust from this publisher - or words to that effect.

Maybe try running the installer again - it will probably try to repair the installation.

See if that does it.

Paragon mounts beautifully in win7 - mount drivers not working in win8 yet, sadly.

I am sure they will sort that out soon.

It might also be worth checking your paragon account - they put updates in there without notifying you.

21. seekforever

Well, after a lot of fooling around I found the following that wasn't obvious, at least to me. If you have a complex archive mounting isn't available and that probably makes some degree of sense because what partition in a multi-partition archive would you be assigning the drive letter to.

My complex archives are just the C drive image with the MBR and it didn't occur to me that including the MBR would cause this problem.

A file only backup does not have the Mount available either.

22. Paragon_Matt

OK, let me clarify something on the mount partition which may save your sanity ladies and gentlemen, the Mount archive ability only exists on the partition level, it can be from differentials or incremental backups, you simply need to in the archives tab, choose partition under the selection of what kind backup to specify and simply right click and choose to mount the partition as a drive letter.

23. seekforever

Thanks, clicking the drop down box that had said "Show All" and selecting "Show Partitions" resolved the issue.

24. Paragon_Matt

Welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.