Most stable firewalls?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by deadmeat, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

If I live to be a hundred I'll never have the technical knowledge of Stem or others but in the course of a normal day I still get through an enormous amount of software.

Because of what I do I'm constantly taking stuff on and off and running it so the same program maybe gets installed up to a dozen times before I'm through. Especially with security related software this can eventually lead to problems as like many average users I do not spend the time clearing up each system after removal. I therefore experience the same issues as a lot of others, just quicker and more frequently! This is partly deliberate in that I then use the situation to evaluate the abilities of other software.

The point I'm coming to if it's of any use is that of all the firewalls I've treated in this way only two have never given a single problem. Some might have been only minor, such as the traffic not showing in Jetico V1 icon, but an issue just the same. The two in question are NetVeda Safety.Net and Privatefirewall. NetVeda may be a bit long in the tooth now for some users but Privatefirewall is still very much alive with a new version due out shortly offering IPV6 support, reduced alerts, full Vista64 compatibility and performance enhancements. The current version, so long as you don't use an aggressive third party un-installer set to "advanced", will even automatically reinstall your rules and settings when you put it back in again.

Privatefirewall has been my favourite for a long time and just though I'd share it.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'd have to venture and say, for Windows, it's no other than Look 'n' Stop.
    It's not my favorite, Jetico for instance would be simply awesome if some things would just go away, but, if you want stability, go LNS or Windows firewall.

3. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

To some people I guess Look 'n Stop is a dinosaur and to others an Icon.
    I belong to the second category in which there is now not much choice as modern versions of this type of firewall are disappearing from the shelves.

Unless I'm mistaken though a new version of Filseclab is still due to arrive this summer and I was told that it won't contain a HIPS so this would at least be one more updated pure firewall to add to the list.

4. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Rising is pretty stable. LAN everything should sync some firewalls doesn't make this happen. Give you example of what I mean.

Caller ID Server should be able to connect to several host Caller ID Listeners without a glitch. Very simple to receive the message of who's calling. I always run into issues where the software is always blocked by the software firewall.

Comodo
    Zone Alarm
    PC Tools Firewall Plus
    Sygate
    Filseclab (had issues this one the worst)
    Armor2net
    Online Armor
    Outpost

Sure rules should take but they never.

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If im reading the post right, if not I will retract the statement later. :)

VOIP Works fine on Comodo, ZA, Sygate and Online Armor yes it does take some configering, like with Vonage but other then that they all work good and the information is easy to find with a google search.

6. tipstir

For my wireless AP I use ELKO Builds DD-WRT no issues with that 24/7 none.. Just a stable firewall should be smart to detect the LAN and not block other LAN PCs. Too many to do this. Thus RDP can't connect to the system you want on your own network.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Most firewalls do that for security of the computer, its easy to shut off in most. And depending on your needs it can be useful its not a flaw by any stretch of the imagination. :cool:

8. tipstir

Well I can't agree, because they should work right out of the box. Be able to detect your network LAN. Even if you put in a IP range rule still shouldn't block the LAN. Some of these do. Comdo IS on one system throught my LAN was attack and locked down all LAN access, 350 attacks and counting. I even matched the settings on it's clone system right next to it and it still had blocked the LAN. The only way around it was to uninstall it. Zone Alarm almost the same event, that true vector is another story..

I didn't mention Avira Premium IS that one had blocked the entire network on the system right next to the the one running Comodo IS in my test.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It is working correctly right out of the box.. Firewalls are normally made for the basic user easy to setup with maximum protection. The more knowledgeable to advance user's adjust things to what they want, but the basic user expects protection right out of the box. ;)

This is to benefit the majority not the few. And get the most protection out there that is possible. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.