Most Reliable AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EASTER.2010, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Not on my rig, that's for sure. :D

Dell Dimension 5000
    P4 3,2 Ghz HT technology
    1 gig RAM
    HD 80 gig
    USB Drive 250 Gig

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought kav5 used alternate data streams and kav6.0 used a better way but i dont know what.
    lodore

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have never encountered a problem with KAV 6 and chkdsk.

Jerry

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

neither have i.
    sure it takes a while to start stage 2 but it stores data where the stage 2 scans so its gonna take longer.
    lodore

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

A problem with chkdsk was first reported with KAV/KIS 2005 and that version did use ADS to store information so that after the first full scan subsequent scans would be much faster.

KAV/KIS 2006 uses different technology, ISwift and IChecker, to speed up scans after the first one. It totally avoids any use of Alternate Data Streams as the problem with that was severe enough that Kaspersky issued a special tool to remove the ADS tags placed by KAV/KIS 2005 on every file, and which were NOT removed when uninstalling KAV/KIS, and developed new technology to take the place of ADS. I personally experienced, on my earlier XP computer, damage from KAV 2005 which I only had for less than a month as a trial. Plus, KAV 2005 fragmented my disk very heavily, and very rapidly, and wrecked havoc on System Restore. The 2006 version was an improvement in that System Restore was left alone and fragmentation was normal and if KAV 2006 was uninstalled there was nothing left behind on all files.

I have read in a recent post here (I have not had time to check the KAV forum to find the original post) that Kaspersky has finally stated that the chkdsk problem is a REAL problem, they can reproduce it, and will fix it in a future service pack. If that is true then I guess that means those of us who uninstalled KAV/KIS 2006 will have to reinstall it to fix the damage. I repeat though that I am paraphrasing a post here at Wilders recently and have not yet checked the KAV forums to see if what I read here is accurate.

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Neither for me also. KIS6 Suite so far is as flawless as i ever experienced with any AV except maybe Avast. I never really had any trouble with it and their forum is always been very helpful.

That's of emormous comfort for me because given the nature of any Anti-Virus core code, there is always been some issue at some point that made for anxiety and concerns which eventually led to my uninstalling the program entirely and on to hunt for a more "friendlier" one if even an on-demand type.

Untill some serious issue develops KIS6 is the one for me right now and i do hope it stays that way. Too many years in search of a stable, conflict-free AV is reason for this confidence in KIS6 right now.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

"I have read in a recent post here (I have not had time to check the KAV forum to find the original post) that Kaspersky has finally stated that the chkdsk problem is a REAL problem, they can reproduce it, and will fix it in a future service pack. If that is true then I guess that means those of us who uninstalled KAV/KIS 2006 will have to reinstall it to fix the damage. I repeat though that I am paraphrasing a post here at Wilders recently and have not yet checked the KAV forums to see if what I read here is accurate."

Will you guys be checking this out at KAV forums AND the ZA forums? ZA is now going over to KAV and may be unaware of this "CHKDSK" issue?

Thousands of KAV and ZA customers are/could be/ impacted!

We need to know!

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I never do chkdsk, so i cant confirm the apparent Kaspersky+chkdsk problem and am not worried if i have the problem on my PC or not.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my pc has had windows xp installed for just over 2 years and for a while now every so often it wants to run chkdisc to sort things out.
    now this has happerned way before i installed kis6.0 and when i was using f-secure.
    and the chkdisk gets stuck on stage 2 for a while but it only took in total 13ninutes which is fine with me it hasnt got any longer.
    it completes successfully.
    it would be nice to stop the delay on stage 2 of chkdisk thou even thou it completes successfully and dont have problems with kis6.0

lodore

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

"Thousands of KAV and ZA customers are/could be/ impacted!"

Wow, could you please try to put a more exiting spin on this statement, it just too toned down! ;)

No post was ever made stating this is reproduceable in the lab................the post was made by the project manager and he asked for logs etc from those that reported the CHKDSK delay (or rather weird happenings some reported) so they could produce it in the lab because they have not been able to reproduce it.

Kaspersky 6.0 has been out for more than 8 months (9 on the 15th) and you would think that if this was really something that could mean "Thousands of KAV and ZA customers are/could be/ impacted!" (i take it you mean in a major negative way?)....that we would have seen lot more threads/posts/users report actual problems beyond a delayed 2 stage of CHKDSK & perhaps a product withdrawn from the shelfs if the tone of some these CHKDSK's threads/posts were an indicator of a major problem.

I have personally used over 100 builds of 6.0, some of these were non-public beta builds which were not completely functioning in all aspects, non of these builds have ever giving any trouble regarding this beyond a delayed 2 stage of CHKDSK. :)

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Defragmenting the MFT helps to reduce the chkdisk delay, right?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes it does some people use diskeeper boot defrag or perfectdisk boot time defrag
    lodore

13. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

You are right! I was a bit over the top there.... to err is human.... etc etc

Anyway, I hope that the issue is non existent as your post seems to say it must be!

I think I'll wait a bit till there is more usage of KAV and ZA before going that way!

I'd hate to be caught on my own over the top statement! That really would be :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2007
  14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I'm not saying there aren't users without issue's...just that this has been blown a bit out of proportions and looks like a much bigger issue than it is. :)

P.s. Haven't tried the ZA suite with Kav AV included yet, so can't comment on it.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have to agree with Don. This issue still hasnt been proven to have anything to do with the Kaspersky engine and not the individuals PC and software and/or hardware. I think the chances of any issue is about as small as lodores toenail.:rolleyes:

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Neither have i but am safely running the old lightweight Keio 2.15 again even with KIS6 Networking Firewall and find nothing out of the ordinary by mixing this combo this way. It's been said time and again not to run two firewalls and i agree totally with that summation given the intricacies and possible conflicts arising but this appears to be an exception to that rule and i couldn't be more pleased with the results so far.

17. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I can only speak for myself, but if I uninstall KIS6 I can run checkdisk, if I then install KIS6 I can no longer run checkdisk. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times with the same result, I also have the delay on stage 2.

Recent email I received from Kaspersky support stated;

"hello!
    we should solve the issue in the new version.

Best regards,
    Kaspersky Lab Support Team"

So it would appear that Kaspersky is aware of the problem and should have an solution in the next version.
    John

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I thought you meant checking the disk manually as I used to do in the old days of DOS and Windows 98. I can't remember the last time I ran the 'chkdsk' command manually.

As for my system using Windows XP, I can't say I've experienced any corruption of files using KIS. Besides IF chkdsk is run at boot-up on my system, I suspect it does so before KIS starts.

19. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I'll make this simple. I have a 5 to 6 minute delay at sage two. I have used AOL AVS. (KAV light) If you can run CHKDSK on relatives and friends Computers. (I have) If they are like the ones I ran CHKDSK on, that have never had KAV or AOL AVS installed, there will be no delay. I tried Perfect Disk and surprise it recommended a MFT File defrag. I ran one, but noticed no difference. I am not worried, and believe this can be fixed. However, between the long delay of Kaspersky to acknowledge this, and how Zone Labs never seems to acknowledge any problems they have, need I say more? ZA has "millions" of customers and who knows where this could lead? Again Iam not worried as I no longer have AVS installed, and also because I read somewhere that this may be more of a Microsoft problem having to do with CHKDSK needing to be changed somehow. Hopefully someone can find out more about this and refresh my memory. I will end with this. I liked AVS very much and it motivated me to someday even purchase KAV. I am not an alarmist despite this post, and believe KAV to be one of the best all around software out there. I just wish they would speed up the process of fixing this.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i done a quick Google search the other day and it reveled lots of questions about
    getting stuck on certain stages e.g. 2 and 3
    but none of them said anything about having kaspersky installed so really its a microsoft problem and not kasperskys
    it seems kaspersky uses does something to the indexes to make it get stuck on stage two for a while
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.