More upload difficulties due to "Database Current"

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bordonbert, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bordonbert

bordonbert Registered Member

Hi, first post here. I know there are many posts regarding update issues but I couldn't find any similar to my own.

NOD32 V3.0.669.0 was purchased a couple of months ago. It installed fine and seemingly updated ok at that time too. Since then every time I try to update, either auto or manual, it reports "Update of the virus signature database not necessaary. The installed signature database is current." No error messages just "You Don't Need It!"

My current database version is 3382 (20080823) and the reported one on Eset website is now 3440 (20080913). I only have 3382 because I uninstalled and reinstalled after 3 weeks of the same problem.

I am a home user with no proxy to cause problems. I use ZoneAlarm firewall with Windows FW turned off and Eset is excluded from intervention in ZA. I also use AdAware and Spybot manually but their optional services like Tea Timer are turned off too. Even temporarily closing down ZoneAlarm completely has no effect on the problem.

I have checked and rechecked all of the Nod32 options and settings but they seem to be logical and correect. I have also taken the advice I found to flush the Eset download cache to no effect.

Can anyone offer any further advice which may help?

2. bordonbert

I have just taken this a stage further. From reading around it seems as though V2 was much more stable than V3. Since I am only a humble home user I have downloaded V2.7 from Eset's site to replace V3 until such time as they stabilise it. However.......

On trying to uninstall V3 either from Add/Remove Programs or using the custon Eset Uninstall shortcut, it bombs out! The report says "A network error occurred while atempting to read from the file "C:\Windows\ Installer\eav_nt32_enu.msi" A network error? Is that what they call it when the file does not exist?

I'm beginning to sense a pair of extending ears on the side of my head and a tattoo of GUM on my forehead, at least that is what it looks like from my side!!!! Ithink I have pulled a real boner taking advice to gop to Nod32. Is there a way to uninstall this software and give the earlier version a run out for assessment?

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Try to manually delete these folders :

for XP:
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset
    - C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application data\Eset

for Vista:
    - C:\Program data\Eset
    - C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Local\Eset
    - C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Roaming\Eset

If you cannot do this in normal mode , boot in Safe Mode and do it from them
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Then , download and run this utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    in order to clean any failed MSI packs

Try to install ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.672 using and installation file from www.eset.com

4. bordonbert

Thanks for the reply HiTechBoy. I'm using XP Pro SP3 by the way. I have had experience of Vista at work and let's just say I continue to use XP where I have a choice. Nod32 was in fact installed from a file I downloaded from the Eset site after I had purchased the licence.

I have solved the downgrading issue at least. The file was simply not where Uninstall was looking for it. I found it in my My Documents area of all places. Maybe my fault but I think that setting a piece of software to expect a file in one particular place without the file being specifically and necessarily put there at some stage is dangerous. On dropping it into the Installer folder the uninstall completed successfully. I have now installed V2.7 and it has updated the database correctly so I guess we can assume that my login details and various connection settings are correct.

Barring advice to the contrary I am going to wait to see if V2.7 updates itself correctly as it needs to now. When I know it does at least some of its job I will explore reinstalling V3 following your instructions. I have the installers for V2.7 to use again if things don't improve.

I'll get back to the site as I learn more info in a day or 2. Thanks and hope you keep watching.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome :)

Yes .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.